Request Ethics Guidance
Active attorneys in good standing may ask the Disciplinary Commission for informal ethical guidance restricted solely to their own professional conduct and not the conduct of someone else. Requests for guidance are confidential and must be submitted in writing electronically through the Indiana Courts Portal (see instructions below). Guidance provided to attorneys in this manner will refer attorneys to the applicable Rules, supporting Official Comments to the Rules, relevant case law if it exists, and other legal sources known to the Commission staff.
The Commission will not provide guidance on issues involving:
- Past conduct
- Pending litigation
- Conduct other than that of the inquirer
- The content of motions, responses, trial briefs, or legal memorandums in pending litigation. Informal individual guidance is not to be used as a means to proofread and edit other lawyer's written trial materials
- Questions related to law practice or law office management not related to ethical rules. For example, “is my paralegal a 1099 or a W-2 employee” is not an ethics related question
Instructions for requesting ethics guidance
Right-click the link below and save the Guidance Request form to your computer. Type your entries, and save the file or print to PDF. Use the free Adobe Reader or any professional version of Adobe Acrobat to ensure your entries are saved. Do not print and handwrite your entries and do not scan to PDF.
- From the dashboard in the "My tools & settings" section, click on "Upload a document"
- From the menu, choose the document type: "Ethical Guidance Request"
- Click the browse button to locate your saved PDF and click "Submit"
- After submitting, you'll see a list of all documents you've uploaded successfully. Documents will be marked with a "Pending" status until the Disciplinary Commission has started its review. Until then, you may withdraw the document.
For more information about submitting documents through the Portal, see Secure Document Uploader.