Notice of Proposed Rule Amendments by the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure for Public Comment
To the Bench, Bar and Public:
Pursuant to Ind. Trial Rule 80, the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure has posted the following:
- Criminal Rule 2.1 - Requires cell phone numbers and email addresses in appearances
- Trial Rule 3.1 - Requires cell phone numbers in appearances
- Criminal Rule 22 - New requirement of personal, knowing, voluntary, and intelligent waiver of the right to a jury trial in Class A misdemeanors
- Appellate Rule 44 - New requirement for filing an oversized brief
- Small Claims Rule 8 - Permits Trusts to appear by a trustee in claims not exceeding $1,500
- Trial Rule 3 - New requirements for the commencement of a civil action
- Trial Rule 5(H) - New language regarding distribution of court orders
- Trial Rule 64 - Clarifies procedure for issuance of a writ of attachment, bench warrant, or body attachment when attempting to enforce a judgment. Also, clarifies pre-judgment attachment and garnishment of wages or salaries.
- Trial Rule 69 - Cross-references Trial Rule 64 regarding Writs of Attachment, Bench Warrants and Body Attachments in Proceedings Supplemental
- Trial Rule 86 - Adds requirement of filing an appearance to commence an action
- Appellate Rule 57 - New time limits for filing of a Petition to Transfer if rehearing was not sought. New time limits for filing a brief in response to a Petition to Transfer and for filing a reply brief.
- Small Claims Rule 2 - New requirement for commencing an action
- Appellate Rules 9, 14, 14.1, 16, and 63 - Amendments to permit electronic filing of Notices of Appeal
- Appellate Rule 29 - Provisions for the submission of exhibits in the form of CDs DVDs, flash drives, or other physical media
- Appellate Rule 49 - Requirement to seek leave to amend a filed Appendix
- Appellate Rule 50 - Provisions for the Table of Contents
- Appellate Rule 67 - Provision for taxing of costs
- Appellate Rule 43 and Appendix A - Amendment dealing with fonts and preparation of electronic transcripts
- Appellate Rule 69 - New Rule dealing with Notices of Defect
The Committee invited public comment on the proposed rule amendments through April 27, 2018. The comment period is now closed.