[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Resolving an Issue with a Utility


The following three avenues are available to the public for resolving an issue with a public utility:

  1. File a Complaint with the IURCís Consumer Affairs Division
  2. Contact the Office of the Utility Consumer Counselor
  3. File a Formal Petition with the IURC

Consumer Affairs Division

Individual customer complaints regarding extension of service and credit, deposits, billing, termination of service, customer rights, utility responsibilities, and other complaints regarding utility service may be taken by the IURC's Consumer Affairs Division. While it is not necessary to have an attorney to file an individual customer complaint, the consumer must first attempt to resolve the issue directly with the utility prior to filing a complaint with Consumer Affairs.

Office of the Utility Consumer Counselor

The Indiana Office of the Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is a separate state government agency designated by statute to represent the interests of residential, commercial and industrial ratepayers in all cases before the IURC. The OUCC serves as the consumersí legal and technical representative, giving all Indiana consumers a voice when decisions are made at the IURC that could affect utility rates and services.

The OUCC is staffed with attorneys, accountants, engineers and economists with expertise in utility regulation. The OUCC provides this service regardless of input from the rate-paying public as part of the agency's routine preparation for cases. The OUCC may be reached by calling 317-232-2494, or toll-free at 1-888-441-2494; or by writing them at 115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204.

File a Formal Petition with the IURC

Members of the public who meet the requirements of I.C. 8-1-2-54 may join together to file a formal complaint against a public utility with the Commission if they so choose. Formal petitions filed with the Commission must also meet the requirements of the Commission's rules of Practice & Procedure. Furthermore, the Indiana Supreme Court Rules of Admission and Discipline (Rule 3) requires that attorneys practicing before the Commission be admitted to the Indiana Bar. A member of the bar of another state or territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, may appear before the Commission with a member of the Indiana Bar who has appeared and agreed to act as co-counsel. For a copy of the Admission and Discipline Rules, visit the Indiana Judicial System website. For a list of attorneys who are members of the utility law section of the Indiana Bar, please contact the Indiana State Bar Association at (317) 639-5465.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]