Frequently Asked Questions

To better assist you with completing the Water Utility Resource Report, below we have provided some tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

Which report do I need to file?

The report is called the Water Utility Resource Report. The new law requires water utilities to complete the form, which is about 8 pages when printed. Due to the volume and complexity of the data, all reports must be submitted online through the IURC's Electronic Filing System. Other IURC reports, such as annual financial reports, are approximately 45 pages in print form and are not required for the water utility resource report.

Where do I find a well reference number?

The DNR's Water Well Record Database contains water well reference numbers that you will need to complete the IURC Water Utility Resource Report. The database can be found on the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) webpage for its Division of Water. To locate your water well reference number, input the appropriate Township, Range, and Section for the well locations. The reference numbers are displayed on the upper left side of the record.

Another way to search for the reference number is by using the DNR's water well record webviewer. To locate the registered Significant Water Withdrawal Facility (SWWF) wells, access the SWWF facility data for the county, find your wells with the SWWF registration numbers, and obtain the well reference number at the end of the string in the "fac" excel file.

If you have questions about navigating the DNR database, please contact the Division of Water at 317-234-1087 or Mark Basch with the DNR at 317-232-0154.

Section II - What information do I include for the service territory description?

We prefer electronic maps containing GIS data, but if you need to make a service territory map, outline the service territory on a map that includes geographical features like major roads. Then scan the map to a PDF format and upload the file as shown in Section II of the online form. The red outline needs to be made up of straight lines that enclose the service territory. Refer to the example shown below:

Section III - What is the unit of measurement for finished water volume sold?

Where finished water volume sold is requested, the unit of measurement requested is thousands of gallons (or for a few utilities, hundred cubic feet). To convert actual gallons sold to thousands of gallons, divide actual gallons sold by 1,000.  If actual gallons sold are 5,000,000, then to report in thousands of gallons, divide 5,000,000 by 1000 to get 5,000. If 105,000,000 actual gallons sold, that would be 105,000 thousands of gallons.

Section IV - What is total utility plant in service?

Utility Plant in Service is a financial accounting term. The utility employee (clerk-treasurer or office manager) responsible for the accounting records should be able to provide this figure. Utility Plant in Service is the total original cost (money) spent on all physical assets currently used in the utility’s operation such as land, pipes, pumps, meters, wells, water treatment plants, water storage facilities, office equipment, and vehicles regardless of the year purchased. It does not include construction work in progress, plant held for future use, accumulated depreciation, or materials and supplies.

For Example: Installed 6" water mains in 1950 for $5,000; purchased water storage facility in 1972 for $25,000; installed 5 miles of 6" water main in 2010 for $350,000. The Utility Plant in Service will be $380,000.

Section V - What information do I enter for the types of water resources section?

In several places, the capacity or volume requested is stated in millions of gallons. If a well is rated at 5,000,000 gallons per day, that would be 5.0 million gallons per day. Likewise, if a pump is rated at 450,000 gallons per day, that would be 0.45 million gallons per day.  

When entering dates, the scroll bar on the calendar is not visible until your mouse hovers over the top left or top right part of the calendar. Then, "Prev" and "Next" will appear in their respective locations to allow you to scroll through the year.

For situations where a peak day is unknown, but month is known enter the date manually as for example 11/2012. If neither a peak month nor peak day are known, enter manually 0000.

Section VII - What is included in operations and maintenance costs?

Debt service (loan or bond payments), as well as depreciation expense should not be included in operations and maintenance costs.