Customer Rights and Responsibilities


What are my rights as a utility customer in the state of Indiana?

First and foremost, you have the right to safe and reliable service. However, this does not guarantee continuous uninterrupted service. You also have the right to dispute a problem with your utility and expect that it will be handled in a fair and expeditious manner. For additional information regarding consumer rights, please visit the Indiana Administrative Code.

How can I file a complaint to have my concerns investigated?

The IURC requires the customer and the utility to attempt to resolve the dispute before invoking the assistance of the IURC's Consumer Affairs Division. However, if a reasonable resolution is not achieved, you may contact the Consumer Affairs Division for a review of the complaint. Consumers may contact the office via mail, e-mail, telephone or fax.

Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission
c/o Consumer Affairs Division
101 W. Washington Street, Suite 1500E
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204

Local: 317-232-2712 / Toll free: 1-800-851-4268 / TDD: 317-232-8556 / Fax: 317-233-2410

My service is scheduled to be disconnected, what should I do?

Call your utility immediately and ask if you are eligible to set up a payment arrangement, which is an agreed upon payment schedule. If you are ineligible for an arrangement, inquire about other options that may be available to you. If you are unable to reach an agreement with the utility, you may contact the IURC’s Consumer Affairs Division for assistance; however, we cannot guarantee any particular outcome.

Under what circumstances would I have to pay a deposit?

A utility may request a deposit from an existing customer if the customer has been mailed a disconnect notice two consecutive months or three times within a 12-month period. A deposit may also be requested if your services are disconnected for nonpayment and/or transferred to a new residence.  Additionally, a utility may request a deposit from a new customer if the utility is unable to determine the creditworthiness of the applicant.

What should I do if I think there is something wrong with my utility meter?

Call your utility and discuss your concerns. You have the right to request the utility to conduct a meter test and provide you the test results.

Is my utility allowed to estimate my usage?

Utilities may estimate your bill for good cause, which may consist of, but is not limited to, the following: inclement weather, labor disputes, labor shortages, inaccessibility of a customer's meter, and other circumstances beyond the control of the utility.

Where can I read about cases that have been or are pending before the IURC?

To access documents or filings related to a specific case, visit the IURC’s Electronic Document System. The EDS’s searchable database contains all documents in cases from the year 2001 to the present. To access the EDS, please click here.

Click the Start button under Search for a Docketed Case. When the next page opens, if you have the five-digit docket number, you may enter it into the Cause Number field. At this point, no additional information is necessary; simply click Search. In some instances, multiple cases may appear with the same docket number. These are subdockets. If you do not know the case's five-digit docket number, there are ways to search for it. For example, you can select an industry, a petition type, or the case's status. You also can enter the name of the utility or dates related to the petition, order, or hearings. When you have finished entering the criteria, click Search.

To view case updates and/or case summaries, visit the Office of Utility Consumer Counselor’s (OUCC) website. The OUCC provides basic information about pending cases and an overview of the filed testimony.

How can I file comments relating to a pending case before the IURC?

You may submit written comments on cases to the Office of Utility Consumer Counselor.

Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
PNC Center
115 W. Washington Street, Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204

Please include the following information: the case number, your full name, mailing address, email address (if applicable), and daytime telephone number.