Financial Assistance

Does the IURC provide financial assistance to Indiana residents?

No, the IURC does not provide financial assistance to customers, nor do we oversee the implementation of such programs. Utility companies and other state agencies, however, may be able to offer assistance to Hoosiers in need.

What programs are available to help me pay my utility bills?

There are many organizations, agencies and charities willing to assist Hoosiers during their time of need. However, before contacting these entities, consumers should contact their utility companies and explain their situation. Many times utilities will work with customers to set up payment arrangements so that customers can pay their bills on time and avoid disconnection.

If you are still having trouble making a full payment, it is important to note how much you can contribute toward your utility bills and convey that amount to the organizations or agencies you contact for assistance. 

Agencies and programs offering financial assistance:

What is winter moratorium and who is protected by this law?

Winter moratorium is a period of time each year from December 1 through March 15 in which individuals, who have applied for benefits through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), may not have their heat source disconnected. However, it is important to note that the customer is still responsible for charges incurred during this time.

To apply for energy assistance in Indiana, please contact a Community Action Agency (CAA) near you. The CAAs are designated by federal regulation and under contract with the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority to serve as the local agencies responsible for administering the Energy Assistance Program. There are twenty-four CAAs throughout the state that can take applications. The CAAs are also responsible for eligibility determination and timely payment to vendors.

What is Lifeline and Link-Up? How do I apply?

Lifeline provides qualified consumers with a discount on monthly charges for their primary home phone line, even if it’s a cell phone. Link-Up, on the other hand, lowers the cost that eligible consumers pay for setting up new phone service at their home. This includes cell phone service.

To apply, contact the telephone carrier of your choice and ask if the carrier participates in the Lifeline Link-up program.  Some carriers may take an application over the phone while others may provide a paper application to be completed and submitted to the provider.

How can I connect with other social services in my area?

For a list of local organizations and charities in your area that may be in a position to help you, please visit Connect 2 Help’s Web site or simply dial 2-1-1. This number will direct you to a network of information and referral services that enables anyone in Indiana in need of human services to have quick referrals to those who provide them.