Assistance from other State Agencies

In addition to the IURC, there are other state agencies that oversee or assist with utility-related matters. Below you can find a list of these agencies and a brief description of the programs or functions they serve within the Indiana government.

Office of Utility Consumer Counselor

The Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency representing utility ratepayer interests (including residential and business consumers interests) in cases before state and federal regulatory commissions.

The OUCC and IURC are separate state government agencies with the IURC designated under Indiana law to make decisions in cases involving regulated public utilities and the OUCC serving as the consumers’ legal and technical representative.

Office of the Indiana Attorney General

The Office of the Indiana Attorney General (AG) is charged with protecting the interests of all Hoosiers through two primary functions: legal services and consumer services. Additionally, its Telephone Privacy Division maintains, updates, and enforces Indiana's telephone privacy list.

Indiana Housing and Community Development

Indiana Housing and Community Development (IHCDA) helps communities build upon their assets to create places with ready access to opportunities, goods, and services.The agency also promotes, finances and supports a broad range of housing solutions, from temporary shelters to homeownership in addition to overseeing Indiana's energy assistance program.

The state's Energy Assistance Program (EAP) provides financial assistance to low-income households so that they can maintain utility services during the winter heating season. The program is implemented through the Community Action Agencies with outreach offices in every county. These agencies provide intake, application processing and utility vendor payments.

Family and Social Services Administration

The Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) provides services to families who have issues associated with low income, mental illness, addiction, mental retardation, a disability, aging, and children who are at risk for healthy development. Its Division of Family Resources receives applications and approves eligibility for Medicaid, Food Stamps, TANF (cash assistance) and childcare.

Indiana Underground Plant Protection Service

Indiana Utility Plant Protection Service (IUPPS) is the Call Before You Dig Center. IUPPS provide a free service to the state in the interest of public safety. Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means calling 8-1-1 before each job. Homeowners often make risky assumptions about whether they should get their utility lines marked, but every digging job requires a call – even small projects like planting trees and shrubs.