Certification & Recertification
Competency Evaluation / Testing
Following successful completion of the 105 hour Nurse Aide Training Program an individual is eligible to take the competency evaluation or state test.
- The competency evaluation or state test is both a written and skills competency test.
- The written test is 100 multiple choice questions. The individual must obtain an 80% (80 correct answers) to pass.
- The skills competency test consist of demonstration of hand hygiene and 4 additional skills that are randomly chosen. The individual must demonstrate competency for a tester.
- Individuals are given 3 attempts to pass the written and skills.
- Upon successful completion of both the written and skills portions the individual becomes a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) and is entered in the Indiana Nurse Aide Registry.
Competency Evaluation / Testing Procedure
Nurse Aide competency evaluations / testing is administered through Ivy Tech Community College. All Competency Evaluation Applications should be sent to:
Ivy Tech Community College
PO Box 1621
Indianapolis IN 46206
Ivy Tech Community College has a CNA/QMA Central Testing Office located in Indianapolis that processes all applications and schedules testing throughout the state. Applications should only be sent to the above address. This office is staffed by Central Coordinators.
The fee for both the written and skills test is $75.00. A fee of $65.00 will be charged for only one test (written or skills). Fees can be paid with facility checks, money orders, or credit cards. No personal checks will be accepted. Checks should be made payable to Ivy Tech Community College.
You may contact Ivy Tech at 317-917-5948. Testing information is available at www.ivytech.edu/cna and www.ivytech.edu/qma