Diabetes Self-Management Education
Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) programs provide people with diabetes the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to better manage their condition and improve their quality of life. DSME programs are for people with diabetes, their caretakers and family members. Many of the programs are recognized and/or accredited by the American Diabetes Association or the American Association of Diabetes Educators.
DSME programs have been proven effective in improving clinical outcomes and reducing the risk for developing heart disease, nerve damage, high blood pressure and depression.
The objectives of the DSME program are to:
- Support informed decision-making
- Encourage self-care behaviors
- Develop problem-solving skills
- Promote active collaboration with the health care team
- Improve clinical outcomes, health status and quality of life
- Healthy eating
- Being active
- Monitoring blood sugar
- Taking medication
- Problem solving
- Healthy coping skills
- Ways to reduce risk for other conditions