CPG Meeting Minutes, November 2008


November 18, 2008
10:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Rice Auditorium


Present CPG Members:

  • Archey, Rev. Donald
  • Woods, Wendy
  • French, Paula
  • Gillespie, Tony
  • Hail, BSN, Anna Urias
  • Harris, Larry, ISDH
  • Lozano, Dolly
  • Morton, Ramon
  • Nash, Richard
  • Hughes, Mark
  • Pasco, Larry
  • Prado Reyna,Laura
  • Stanley, Debra
  • Vesga, Jesus
  • Fisher, Brian
  • Gilmore, Ramona

Absent CPG Members with Proxy:

  • Woods, Wendy Proxy by Ramon Morton 
  • Hail, BSN, Anna Urias Proxy by Jesus Vesga

Absent CPG Members without Proxy:

  • Howard, James

Present ISDH/Technical Advisors:

  • Archey-Morgan, Cathy
  • Burkman, Jerry
  • Johnson, Elloise
  • Arnold, Vivian
  • Chapman, Erika
  • Newton, Susan
  • Bain, Cena
  • Hillman, Dan
  • Rekas, Dawne DiOrio
  • Burcham, Barbara
  • Lloyd, Lisa
  • Renner, Sarah
  • Perez, Andrea

Absent ISDH/Technical Advisors:

  • Jackson, Terry
  • Pearcy, Cheryl


  • Thornson, Kathy, Fort Wayne/Allen Co. Health Dept.


  • Meeting was called to order at 10:05 by Ramon Morton, Community Co-Chair and Larry Harris, State Co-Chair.
  • All Attendees introduced themselves, region, and populations they represent.

Note:  Jesus Vesga is Proxy for Anna Urias Hail and Ramon Morton is Proxy for Wendy Woods.

Larry Harris: 

Mission:  The CPG Represents the federal mandate of partnership between the community and ISDH to address HIV/AIDS, HIV Prevention, and develop a statewide prevention plan.

Ramon Morton:   Reads Ground Rules

Ramon Morton: 

Determines that Quorum was met by having 15 of 18 members present with the two absent represented by Proxy’s.

Review of Self Assessment Forms:

No Comments made

Ramon Morton: 

Notes that after meeting with Chris Cotten, he established some tips on providing effective feedback on the Self-Assessment forms see Attached

Tony Gillespie: 

Notes that Chris was suppose to be here; however, bad weather was coming in and may not be present.

Tony Gillespie: 

States that he did run into Chris Cotten, in which he [Chris] reported that after speaking with co-chairs and sitting in on exec. meetings, it appeared that all the issues that CDC experienced with CPG have been resolved, and that he [Chris] does not seem to think that his job will be that difficult, as most of issues have been handled.  He attributed that to the current leadership.

Attendance Reviewed:  

No changes made to attendance sheet.

Ramon Morton: 

Shola was sent a letter of removal for failing to attend two consecutive CPG meetings.

Minutes for 9/16/08 CPG Meeting reviewed: 

No changes to be made
Minutes accepted at 10:15 a.m.

Ramon Morton: 

And if we are doing things like we should be doing, we should be reviewing and submitting corrections to Cena before the meeting.

Executive Committee Minutes Reviewed (10/7/08 and 11/3/08):

Larry Pasco: 

I just wanted to address the concerns that Debra Stanley had regarding needle exchange, see 10/7/08,  he reports that the Attorney General has said time and time again that he can’t prosecute those who participate in needle exchange.  He is the highest authority in the State [regarding prosecution] and even he says he will not prosecute. 

Ramon Morton: 

Larry is referring to the comments made by Debra during Executive Conference Call on 10/7/08………the law is real vague regarding paraphernalia.

Larry Pasco:  I would rather keep the law vague.

Cathy Archey-Morgan: I’m sorry Larry the Attorney General what?

Larry Pasco:  

The Attorney General will not prosecute individuals who exchange needles, I have been doing it for 16 years and have never been prosecuted.

Ramon Morton: 

During the November 3, 2008 conference one of the things that we talked about was the roles and responsibilities of CPG/CHSPAC Liaisons.  There may have been some changes on CHSPAC, Tony would you like to talk about that? 

Tony Gillespie: 

Subsequently it was agreed that it was a moot point.  On the last CHSPAC meeting there were discussions regarding the designated CPG seats presently on CHSPAC.  Presently there are two seats on CHSPAC from CPG, and any concerns that may have been are presently moot as nothing has been put in writing.

Mark Hughes: 

I have a question regarding the committees.  Is CAB and CHSPAC the same committee or is CAB separate from CHSPAC?

Tony Gillespie: 

At one time CAB was a separate committee of CHSPAC, this is no longer.  Those who are on CAB are automatically members of CHSPAC.  CAB is just part of the CHSPAC membership.  CAB is no longer a separate standing committee under CHSPAC.

Mark Hughes:  [Inaudible]

Lisa Lloyd: 

Tony is correct as far as there functioning of the organization [inaudible] There is still a CAB Body but as Tony said there is not a standing CAB Committee.  CAB is now merged with the two committees that CHSPAC currently has, which is Planning and Evaluation

Mark Hughes:  Was that a decision of or a decision of CHSPAC, that is my question?

Lisa Lloyd: 

It is a part of the policies and procedures that has been voted on and accepted by the two committees.

Mark Hughes:  Okay.

Dolly Lozano:  I need a direct answer, so is that a yes or a no to his question?

Lisa Lloyd: 

I believe that is a NO, CAB is still a standing Body it is a separate entity from CHSPAC.  So the answer to is question is that it is incorrect, there is still a body.

Tony Gillespie:  I think his question was that a decision of CHSPAC or CAB?

Tony Gillespie: 

CAB members are already a part of CHSPAC, officially it was a joint decision, although not everyone agrees when you from having multiple things and then collapsing them into two things, there are just going to be growing pains with that.  And right now there is just a lot going on.  So the answer to your question is yes and no.  It was not solely the decision of CAB.

Ramon Morton: 

Before I go, are there any more questions or comments regarding the executive committee minutes.

Tony Gillespie:  If you could just go back and explain BSSV and Dr. Chris Cotten.

Ramon Morton:  The whole thing?

Tony Gillespie: 

Well there was some debate on whether we were going to go forward with having a consultant.

Ramon Morton: 

Well if you look back on our feedback form from CDC was here from last time and they were suppose to be here today but there were some things that were going on, but Ted Forbes is back from work.  Just so we could show them all of the things we did.  Because most of the stuff on the report we already did but we just needed to show.  One of the suggestions was made was for the CPG to have facilitator come in.  But the facilitator that was chosen before wanted to do a needs assessment and all of this stuff but that is not what we needed them for.  Then the opportunity arose to have Chris come in me and Larry really liked him.  He came in and asked questions about race, culture, and I am not going to go into detail.
He asked about the length of our meetings are we too long?  And sometime I think we are but we have so much to get done but before we were every month but now we are down to every other month.  One of the suggestions that he made was, if you look at the agenda, is taking committee time off of the agenda.  We decided ourselves that we no longer do committee time here.  So we have committee reports but no committee time, that should be done outside the CPG meetings.
Another thing that we are going to look at is how we are going to remove a person from CPG, what is the criteria.  If you look, there are some things in by-laws.  If you are not attending those meetings outside of CPG and that is one part of your responsibility to be a part of a committee, and if you are not doing your work as a member of the CPG and we really need to start calling folks on that. 
Although some things fell apart when Ryan left as chair as the policies and procedures, there are some things that we need to go back and look at.  If I have to set as chair for the policies until we get it done, but we need to sit down and go back and reevaluate.  We really need to sit down and look at those polices so membership and policies need to look at those policies and look at what is expected and what to do when individuals do not follow those policies.  So Chris was going to help us with that. 
I thought Chris was going to sit in on our co-chair conference call, but he must have thought that we didn’t need it.  But he sat in on our executive committee conference call and so far he has been pretty happy with what we have been doing so far.  Sometimes we get this critic from an outside body and they don’t realize that we have been working pretty good.  I can’t speak about CHSPAC or CAB because I am not a part of that.  But I know as far as CPG everyone comes and they come to work, but Chris did seem like the person we needed, he did not seem like the person to come and try and run the meetings.  I don’t know where it came from that facilitator would come and tell us that this is what we are going to do.  Chris wants come and make sure that we are making it the most sufficient meeting that we can.  One of his things was the time constraints but we are going to look at everything and see.
We will all, Larry and everybody involved will look at all, I mean I was just kind of thrown into this because I didn’t have the opportunity to have that six months, but luckily I have been able to go to Debra, Dolly, Paul, and Tony to help me out.  And working with Larry has really been good and I have to say that I really love this chic right here she has really been a valuable asset to me but um so, did I say enough about Chris or?

Tony Gillespie:  You have said more than enough.

Ramon Morton: 

O’ one of the things that we discussed on the conference call, and I’ll let Andrea handle that when it’s her turn I have talked enough.  But there was some questions about upcoming seminars/workshops about African American Women and one thing that happened last year when Tony and I went to HPLS which was a wonderful conference, we sat in on a workshop that talked about African American Women and how they had did all of these focus groups and Tony and I were like we have never even heard of this and we work in HIV/Prevention, I have never heard Debra or Dolly talk about and they work with African American Women and all of these people work in HIV Prevention Services, so I don’t know where that came from but now there is a workshop and Andrea will talk about it later.  The thing is if you say that you are making available to everybody on the State, when in fact you didn’t, you only talked about to certain people.
I mean we listened, but we kind of pulled out of the conversation because we did not really want to beat up on these sisters.  I mean I think, who put on the conference?

Andrea Perez:  NASTAD

Ramon Morton: 

A lot of times some of these issues that we feel like that may be spear-headed to one person comes from the government they pick something and that is who we  got to go with sometimes [inaudible].  Just as note that when things arise and someone comes to you just remember that we are here a part of a collaborative group so if something happens and it is suppose to be the focus of a statewide nature you don’t phone and get on the e-mail and start contacting folks saying hey what is going on here, everyone needs to be a part of the whole process.  It is not just Marion County, although a lot of things happen in Marion County, but not things are going on outside of here.  I don’t want to put anybody down but we kind of had a really long discussion about it on the call, I am just going to stop talking.

Tony Gillespie: 

There is one change, see page 8.  Regarding the November 3, 2008 It should read the “State needs to provide training to the site”.  


Given by Larry Harris

Larry Harris:  If you have questions, I would suggest you direct it to the program manager.

Barb Burcham: 

Larry, Prevention did not meet the first printing deadline, and Sarah has reviewed this and here is an addendum to the division updates.

Larry Harris: 

Let it be noted that Prevention is adding there update as it comes around and if you have any questions please address them to Barb.

Question Regarding Cindy Clark’s Retirement Party.

Cena Bain:  It is December 19, 2008 from 3 to 4 p.m.

Tony Gillespie: 

I love the formatting of the Division Updates, my question is we have a report from every functioned body with the exception of CAB; we just need to make a note that next time CAB needs to provide an update.

Various:  The update is under services and CHSPAC

Tony Gillespie: 

I am going to choose my words carefully; this is the divisions update, not an accurate CAB update.  There are CAB events that are going on around the State.  This is the division’s version, updating of the divisions, not an update of CAB.  If CAB functions as a stand alone body, CAB info should be provided in the update.

Larry Harris:  Noted.

Erika Chapman: 

I just wanted to say a few words about the Strategic Plan for the Prevention, Care, and Elimination of Viral Hepatitis that plan is being released on Thursday, and I would like to invite you to come or if you are going to be in town to come by we are going to release the plan, and we are going to have hard copies along with electronic copies of the plan.  If you are not able to come but are interested in a plan you can let someone know I would be more than happy to provide a copy after this Thursday’s meeting.  I want you guys to be able to use the plan as HIV and Hepatitis overlap.  If you want to be part of our implementation committee for plan pleases let me know, it will start in January and I would love have people from this body on that body.

Jerry Burkman:  And it will also be posted on the 20th.

Erika Chapman:  Yes

Ramon Morton:  What is your e-mail address Erika?

Erika Chapman: 

echapman@isdh.in.gov.  My phone number is 233-7743, and again, if you are interested in that plan just let me know, you can either find it on the Web, or I would be happy to get that out to you.

Debra Stanley:  Is CHSPAC still accepting applications?

Lisa Lloyd:  Yes

Debra Stanley:  Are there any here?

Lisa Lloyd:  No.

Debra Stanley: 

Can we have some by the end of the day, because we are supposed to have members and we only have one.

Lisa Lloyd:  I can bring some down after lunch.

Debra Stanley:  Okay thank you.

Lisa Lloyd:  Your welcome.

Debra Stanley:  Andrea [inaudible]

Andrea Perez: 

I know I kind of dropped the ball on this one, well Barb provided a paragraph regarding the events going on.

Debra Stanley:  O’ the Statewide Awareness program.

Andrea Perez:  Yes, and the African American Women’s Forum.

Ramon Morton:  Is it too late for people to sign up for that? 

Andrea Perez:  No, we do still have openings.

Ramon Morton:  Did you get people from the Aliveness Project for that.

Andrea Perez:  Yes.

Ramon Morton:  Okay.

Cathy Archey-Morgan: 

I was just thinking about training for the year 2009.  So as you see me today, or if you want to e-mail me regarding input about past trainings or trainings that people would like to have.

Debra Stanley:  Can I ask you about current training.

Cathy Archey-Morgan:  There are none scheduled for November or December.

Debra Stanley:  My question is in regards to that all day Update training course.

Cathy Archey-Morgan:  The Refresher Course?

Debra Stanley: 

The Refresher Course that was cancelled and is has now collapsed into a quarterly meeting, so is this quarterly meeting/refresher course going to be all day, or is it going to be just a meeting where everything is handed out and it will only take 10 minutes of the refresher.  I mean you’ve got to shut down your whole counseling department, everybody has come down here, I mean is it going to worth while, so I just want to know, is it worth while?

Cathy Archey-Morgan:  I can understand………..

Dolly Lozano: 

Can I ask add a question before you answer that, I know for our agency since everyone in our agency is trained to do counseling, so I am going to have shut down my whole clinic to do a one day training session and I don’t know how many other agencies are set up like that, where everyone is trained to be counselors and could it at least be two days so the whole clinic does not have to shut down for one whole day. 

Tony Gillespie: 

Can I add to that, there was suppose to be three trainings in regional areas.  The more we move to regionalize things the more participation will be received.

Cathy Archey-Morgan: 

And you are right, it was originally scheduled to have three locations for the training session each for one day.  Then there were questions who was suppose to come, HIV Prevention Counselors or DIS was involved.  I was actually in training when Dawne and Barb were handling this, so I will turn the question back over to them to respond.

Barb Burcham: 

Dawne and I met and we needed to make a decision based upon a lax in time of activities, January is a reduced time of people getting tested uh hopefully, if there are circumstances such as yours Dolly we might me able to discuss it, so you know we can talk about individual sites, I welcome anyone to call me and we can discuss their problems and discuss it with me and we’ll work on resolutions for individual sites, it will be a full day training kind of like the last one regarding STD’s, for those who are providing HIV Counseling, the date is January 23rd with a snow date set for January 30th, it will be here and hopefully it won’t snow.

Dolly Lozano: 

I have a question, so why did you go to an one-day training because you have a couple of people riding on those roads, it is causing a lot of locals a lot of money to travel for a one day event to Indianapolis, what happened to the Regional, why was the Regional changed.  It would be more cost efficient for 2 people with the State to travel to regions, rather than all of the agencies traveling to Indianapolis.

Barb Burcham: 

It was something that was discussed and it was decided with this particular training, in the future we’re going to try to make things more regional accessibly.

Dolly Lozano: 

But this specific training is like a managing training for you to still to continue to do what you are doing, it is a very important training, so I still encourage for it to be reconsider.

Barb Burcham:  I appreciate that.

Dawne Rekas: 

I just want to point out though even when it was regionally, since it was mandatory it still involved shutting down clinics to attend and that was an issue.

Larry Harris: 

Let me for a minute, I am sorry for being rude, uh, from here on now, Sarah Renner, the new director for the division will be handling some of the training for the division, so let us direct our questions to her.

Dolly Lozano: 

So for the regional’s, if there is one in Lake County and one in Indianapolis or whatever, you can divide your staff, you have that opportunity to divide your staff so you do not have to shut down your clinic.

Larry Harris: 

Dolly, Tony, and Debra it would be really appropriate to start somewhere, so I would like for you to start from the beginning so it is really clear to Sarah.

Dolly Lozano:  Okay.

Debra Stanley: 

Just to catch up, there was a regional training to refresh everyone who does counseling and testing, it was cancelled and now everybody is mandated to attend a one day even here in Indianapolis, the concern is like Dolly was saying the entire infectious disease department at her health department has to shut down everybody has to come.  So for some of us it is a matter of resources, just like the State does not have the resources to send staff all over the State, some of us do not have the resources to send everyone to Indiana, I mean Indianapolis.  So those are some of the questions, so my original question was now that it has been collapsed into quarterly meeting is it going to be a meeting refresher course, or but that question was answered.

Barb Burcham: 

The topic started when Cathy mentioned the refresher course and how it has been put in with quarterly meeting and it had been scheduled originally and then it was placed into the quarterly meeting and had changed into that formatting and changed to a full day training and mandated.  Will there be additional funding for travel allocated to the agencies are all things that can be discussed. 

Cathy Archey-Morgan: 

The training was originally scheduled for 3 separate dates and now it is down to one day.

Sarah Renner: 

So maybe our direction could be for you to know that I post training at a high level of commitment for our division I see it is as very valuable I know you heard me this say before I believe in the three core functions of Public Health and the first one is Assessment of what your doing and so Prevention is the first step.  Cathy and I are going to work together pretty closely over the next couple of months to make sure that we are doing the right thing as it relates to training.  Since I am new I feel like I am at the first place I feel the need to dig into and learn more about, so maybe we should take this time, if you have a vision of what training should look like, I am not committed to what is set in stone in January, I don’t even think anything is set in stone in January so hoped to have something formatted but I don’t have anything.  I would kind of like to have the big picture, I don’t want you to come here, it is my job to come to you.  You don’t have the money I know that.  If we made a commitment I need to talk to staff and figure out why we made that decision, we may need to stick to that decision and you know it won’t be mandatory right, I mean if you can’t get here because you have to serve the people in your county that’s your number one priority, not my training.  Unless there is some type of requirement that I do not know of, that is why I need to talk with my staff, I am behind and I know that [inaudible].

Tony Gillespie: 

I just, you said you have commitment to the local level; it is just one my faux pause is this is the State Department of Health not the Marion County Health Department, Marion County has a health department and when we are doing things around the State there are more ways of doing it then just loading up people in a van and bringing them down here.

Larry Harris:  Anything else, are there any questions.

Ramon Morton:  We are still on time.


Debra Stanley: 

Okay, last month on October 29th, the membership committee met in South bend to review the submitted applications for CPG, we were presented with our membership grid.  All of the were sorted to the weighted categories, we began by looking at the epidemiology and went through a followed with our first priority which was people living AIDS and assigned all of them, and then we looked at the 2nd highest category which was MSM’s, IDU’s, then we took the regions we looked at the regions and tried to make sure that each region was represented, like region 8 only had one application and so that was immediately accepted, I think regions one, two, and six were the only regions that had excessive amounts of applications, so we had a total of 32 applications, and we decided to fill 24 of the 25 seats available leaving one for an under-represented seat open, 15 of the 17 present CPG members re-applied and of that 14 were reselected then there were 10 new applicants and 8 had never served on CPG, 9 and 10 were the only regions that we did not receive applications, but all applications received allowed us to represent all priority populations.  So this is what we came up with, we also took this opportunity to fill some TA seats as well, we had some people that did not fill any populations or regions, but they had strong professional skills and we decided to assign them TA seats because we absolutely need there expertise on the body, so at this point I will ask for consensus to accept these members as our new members and TA’s. 

Ryan Nix: 

I have a question, so when I got this and then I saw this  up there, so you already narrowed it down to this, so where are the people that did not make this list, you already cut them, we didn’t get see all of the applicants.

Debra Stanley:  Yes, all 32.

Cena Bain: 

No, there was only one that was selected for either new membership or TA and they were put on a waiting list.

Ryan Nix: 

So didn’t you say that there was only that applied for CPG last year that did not get selected this year.

Debra Stanley: 

There were some CPG members that submitted applications after the process was done.

Ryan Nix: 

Okay, One of the lines said that 14 of the 15 was cut so I was just seeing were the one was cut was placed.

Debra Stanley:  What is your question?

Ryan Nix: 

This is what I got, then I seen on the power point that one of the members was not reselected and I just wanted to know the process.

Ramon Morton:  That person was moved to TA, they were not eliminated.

Debra Stanley: 

I think that people that were put on the waiting list were new applicants, those who applied after the process was completed.

Ryan Nix:  Okay.

Susan Newton:  So where is this information that all of you are talking about.

Ramon Morton:  It was sent an e-mail to everyone prior to the meeting.

Susan Newton:  I didn’t get it.

Cena Bain:  I sent it to you when I completed it.

Debra Stanley: 

With there being no more questions, do we have consensus on the newly selected members?


Tony Gillespie:

I just want to commend the membership committee and the Department TA’s for working together on that, I want to thank Paula with CAG and Lisa with CAB/CSHPAC because those were the bulk of the applications, so I want to thank them for disseminating those applications to those individuals.

Dolly Lozano:  I just want to thank Debra for stepping-up and helped with the process.

Ramon Morton: 

And it was really good meeting, it took 3 – 3 ½ hours, we went back and forth, and we really counted the people from each region to make sure, because sometimes you have technical errors, but we really did good, Susan and Cena came up, now that we have accepted new members, one of the people that we just accepted as a member would like to say something.

Debra Stanley:  How do you know that he was just accepted.

Ramon Morton:  Because he was a past CPG member.



Tony Gillespie: 

What our recommendation is, and it was decided by this body a long, long time ago one was to hold a retreat and the other was to hold a town hall meeting.  With that being said with the time being so short can those be accommodated?

Cena Bain:  I think that the celebration dinner or whatever is going to more accessible.

Tony Gillespie:  Okay.

Cena Bain: 

The town meetings can maybe be something discussed throughout the year next with remainder of the funds for next year, it is so late in the game and the money has to be spent by a certain time, so with that said does someone have a recommendation for the day in December?

Ramona Gilmore: 

Yes I do know what celebration means, but when you say celebration, what is it a celebration of?  The whole CPG getting together one and what?

Cathy Archey-Morgan:  Accomplishments that were established throughout the year.

Tony Gillespie: 

Actually what we talked about was like something that we did a few years back when Cathy was the CPG Program Director, it was combination retreat and a recognition dinner, so one part of the day we met with a consultant and talked about some of the upcoming trainings, then that evening we had a recognition dinner where CPG were recognized for their efforts throughout the year.  Then there was some discussion and objectives set for the following year.

Ramona Gilmore:  And you would come in the night before.

Debra Stanley: 

My question is in regards to the town hall meetings, and that the money has to be spent by a certain time, is that date not December 31st?

Cena Bain & Jerry Burkman:  Yes.

Jerry Burkman: 

It is not that town hall meetings can not be looked at, they can always be looked at for next year, but it is going to be hard to plan a town hall meeting in the next 4 or 5 weeks.

Debra Stanley: 

Okay, well I just a question on the allocation of the funds and the work be done next year or?

Cena Bain: 

We can discuss town hall meetings for the remainder of funds for next year.  This discussion is for the remainder of the funds for this year.  The money needs to be spent in the next 5 weeks. 

Debra Stanley:  O’, okay.

Cena Bain:  Does that make sense?

Debra Stanley: 

If a celebration dinner is going to cost $8,000, if we are only talking about a celebration for the remainder of the funds what is the remainder going to go to?

Cena Bain:  And I don’t think we have $8,000.

(Discussions that were inaudible between several individuals.)

Barb Burcham: 

Has the decision been made to have a celebration dinner or is that just another option that was laid out on the table?

Cena Bain:  That is what we just decided.

Barb Burcham:  From the executive committee or?

Tony Gillespie: 

The recommendations were given by the body, and other recommendation, and Debra and I discussed this so I do not want to misrepresent anyone, but there was some discussion about using the funds to purchase a laptop for the community co-chair to use, it would be the property of the State but there is an assumption that is made that everyone has access to a computer and that is not always true.  Very much similar to what IMAC does with capacity building, it is the property of the program but that person uses it for business, business for the committee.  So that is the recommendation.

Ryan Nix: 

Didn’t we use that money last year to purchase harm reduction supplies or what is the State’s stand on that or is there anything left, is that an option.  If we have money to be able condoms and stuff like that I would rather do that then come up and have a celebration.

Ramon Morton: 

The thing is, you all jumped the gun and didn’t listen to the whole conversation, the celebration is part of the retreat, and we need this retreat, it is more so of a training and looking at things that we can do better as a CPG and to also make these meetings more effective.  So it is more of a training and the celebration would just be a part of the training.  It is not just that we are going to have drinks and throw a party, not that it wouldn’t be okay because we do need to celebrate.  But it would all be inclusive.

Tony Gillespie: 

And we were introduced to something and we stuck with the recommendations that were given to us that the entire CPG recommended.  Just keep in mind with the harm reduction materials, we did that once and it didn’t work like it was suppose to.

Ryan Nix: 

I was not aware of that so uh if we do this, especially if it is going to be a technical assistance/training, are we going to invite those 10 new CPG members to that retreat, if we have 15, are we going to invite them to give them the tools that they will need for next year?

Multiple:  No.

Ramon Morton: 

One of the things that we talked about the new members coming on, is that they will get a backdrop of whatever we do at the retreat, we have decided that we are going to do a whole training, not just current CPG members, or new CPG members but all staff.  Everybody is going through this training, the guidance, the things that we can do, and the things that we can’t do.  This training is going to be for us on things that we can do better.  To bring in new members, I do not think that it would be a good idea at this point.

Ramona Gilmore:  Is there enough money for the retreat and the laptop?

Jerry Burkman:  I am sorry, who is the laptop for?

Tony Gillespie:  The community co-chair.

Ramon Gilmore:  Is there enough money foe the retreat and the laptop?

Multiple:  We think so.

Ramon Gilmore:  Well I can’t hear.

Cena Bain:  

I don’t think we can say yes or no, we still have all of today’s meeting to deduct.

Larry Pasco: 

You can purchase a laptop for $500, which would work just fine.  I would also like to ask question, but Larry I hate to open up a can of worms over this but it is for my community, I guess this is a division question, if someone from the State missed who got the harm reduction kits, because I sure didn’t get any.

Ramon Morton:  We already went through this Larry.

Larry Pasco:  But I never got an answer.

Ramon Morton:  We will talk about this later, I will out it the parking lot.

Larry Pasco:  Well this is not a parking lot discussion, this is about funding.

Dolly Lozano:  Can we just move this to New Business/Old Business?

Larry Pasco: 

Everything is moved to Old Business/New Business, but when it comes to funding it should be discussed.

Ramon Morton:  I am not trying to shut you down.

Larry Pasco:  I never received an adequate answer.

Ramon Morton:  We will discuss this later.

Larry Pasco:  Well I expect an answer from the division,

Larry Harris:  Very well.

Paula French:  

I don’t think we know how much money we are talking about here.

Cena Bain: 

Factoring in all the travel vouchers for today and everything else, I would estimate about $7,000.

Brain Fisher: 

That is what I got, I estimated about an average of $3,400 a month which would leave us at exactly $7,000 leftover.

Cena Bain:  Give or take obviously.

Brian Fisher: 

And if the same amount of people travel to the conference as do the meetings then we can judge that the hotel and mileage would be about the same, that would leave us about $3,500 for the laptop and the conference room or whatever.

Larry Harris:  At best.

Ramon Morton: 

Okay, so the recommendation was made to do a retreat/celebration and possibly get a laptop for the CPG chair to use to be the property of the State.  That’s the recommendation correct.

Larry Pasco:  I think it should be the property of the CPG and not the State.

Larry Harris: 

If the State purchases a laptop for the community co-chair, then the property will remain to the property of the State.

Jerry Burkman: 

There are also, if you buy a laptop, there are monthly expenses associated with owning a laptop, so that needs to go into the budge.

Debra Stanley:  What other expenses?

Jerry Burkman:  IT Support.

Larry Harris: 

IT Support, updating charges, and I think if you go online there are fees involved for that type of service, but yes there are charges for just owning a computer.

Brian Fisher:  Does the State have an estimate of those charges?

Larry Harris:  We can get that.

Tony Gillespie:  We are not paying for internet access.

Jerry Burkman: 

You are not paying for internet access?  Then what are you going to do with the laptop?

Tony Gillespie: 

The body is providing the laptop whether it is for this community co-chair or the next community co-chair they have to spit the bill for internet.

Ramona Gilmore: 

Then what is the point of them having a laptop if they don’t have internet access? 

Paula French: 

I thought the whole point was for them to be accessible.  I think it is pointless to consider a computer if we are not considering having internet access.  What if the next community co-chair can not afford internet access?

Tony Gillespie: 

Well that is something that needs to be decided on, that is just how I feel.  But you raise a valid point.

Larry Pasco:  Does the current co-chair have internet access?

Ramon Morton: 

I have access, but no computer, but somebody else may not be able to afford it.

Dolly Lozano: 

You said that money needs to be consider to pay for IT right, well with my department we have an IT department that covers every computer that is associated with the Elkhart County Health Department.  Is that the same or will there be an additional charge for that extra computer.

Jerry Burkman: 

I would suspect that your health department does not pay for IT charges for those computer who do not belong to the health department.

Dolly Lozano:  No the computer will belong to ISDH.

Jerry Burkman: 

And they’ll cover it to and they’ll update and keep the anti-virus software on it and all of that for nothing.

Dolly Lozano: 

No all of the computers that are at the local health department are covered under one set bill, and for the ones who take the computer’s to be used outside the building that are also the health departments are still covered by the IT department

Barb Burcham: 

So the way that I IT does is that we pay a seat charge for each computer terminal so that is how we get billed for our IT.

Dolly Lozano:  So it is for each computer?

Larry Harris & Barb Burcham:  Correct.

Debra Stanley: 

I would just like to say that when ISDH purchases computers for entities they remain the property of ISDH always historically I have never know ISDH to cover IT costs associated with we are responsible for the IT and Maintenance ourselves.

Larry Harris & Jerry Burkman:  Through a contract.

Debra Stanley: 

Hold On, ISDH has provided them, they have purchased the computers and has given them to the organizations, that’s what has been my experience, so I just wanted to add though when were talking about for an organization or a health department that is one thing but for a community co-chair is different because they may or may not be associated with an organization and that is the point I am trying to make, so I would recommend the recommendation be amended to cover that IT as well.

Cena Bain:  To take out of the CPG Budget on a monthly basis?

Debra Stanley:  Right, if we are going to do it, do it right.

Cena Bain: 

We will just to work up the numbers and then see how much it is going to cost.

Ramona Gilmore:  So did we set a date?

Ramon Morton:  

I was just thinking that we would just stick with the third Tuesday in December, what date is that, the 16th, with everyone arriving Monday and would we do the dinner that night.

Tony Gillespie:  Can we just let the committee figure out the logistics of it.

Ramon Morton:  Got it.

Cena Bain: 

When you do figure out everything, just keep in mind time, announcing it, allowing us to do accommodations.

Ramon Morton:  Andrea are you ready?

Andrea Perez:  Yes.

Brian Fisher: 

Just as a side bar, is it possible for ISDH to give us what it would cost to purchase a computer?

Cena Bain:  Today?

Brian Fisher: 

No, just before we start planning, I don’t want to spend all of the money.


Given by Andrea Perez

Highlights of Andrea’s Presentation

-  Andrea was invited by NASTAD to join their Latino advisory committee while they were in the middle of the completion of this Call to Action

-  Presentation will provide a electronic copy if desired.

-  A hard copy will be provided later if needed

-  The goals were to:

  1. NASTAD wanted to reaffirm its commitment to provide a comprehensive approach addressing Health Disparities; focusing on Latinos.
  2. Also, wanted to make sure that they integrated Viral Hepatitis and all other STI’s into the HIV Programming; whether care or prevention services.
    Focusing on:

- Latinos presently represent both the largest and the youngest minority group in the United States and are continuing to grow at a very rapid pace.
- Power and Privilege; advantages of one group over others.
- Unique challenges that are faced with Puerto Rico being a commonwealth of the United States


  1. expanding programming and services
  2. increasing awareness and protections of risk among Latinos
  3. strengthening and establishing partnerships
  4. enhancing research and data collection



Andrea Perez: 

I sent out an e-mail; because of the forum on the 4th, ISDH is not planning their own event this year, I sent out an e-mail to the funded sites to find out what is going on around the State.  Everything I got as a response from my e-mail is everything that is going on.  We are in the process of the ordering some condom lollipops to distribute to those who are planning on having a event around the State, if you are interested in those please let me know and we will get them out to you, also those metal pens.

Barb Burcham: 

We have an obligation [inaudible], there are very few pens left.  I have committed to giving Donald Archey some pens and have an obligation to give some for the Memorial Celebration.

Ramon Morton:  Where is the Memorial Celebration at?

Jerry Burkman:  The Memorial Celebration is on Meridian at the Lutheran [Inaudible].

Lunch 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.


Given by Dan Hillman

Tony Gillespie: 

Just before Dan starts, Dan made a presentation to the Epi Committee on 10/21 before he starts I’d like to say that this is the most thorough presentation that we have had in terms of the State being clear.


  • Prevalence refers to those who are still living.
  • The rate has increased from 2006-2007.
  • There was a decrease from 2005 – 2006; migration and death matches could explain this.

Some questions that were raised during the presentation:

Request by Committee: 

To have a break down of the data specified as “Other” Risk, such as death, failure to disclose risk, etc.

Larry Pasco:  Urges the State to use federal funds for overdose prevention.  Suggests using the left over money for overdose prevention.

Larry Pasco:  Wants clarity on whether tests can be performed at CTR sites for those individuals under 12.

Jerry Burkman: 

Reports that it is not a CPG related question and that it is more of a prevention related question, suggests submitting in writing to prevention for the answer.


Membership Committee: 

Dolly Lozano – Co-Chair

Reports that a meeting needs to be held regarding New Member Orientation.

Needs Assessment:

Debra Stanley:  Nothing new to report.

Budget Report:

Tony Gillespie:  Already gave report.

Interventions Committee:

Rico Nash: 

With Erika Chapman’s assistance, the Interventions Committee developed a intervention inquiry form.  It is asked that everyone make a copy and send out to clinics throughout in order to get other intervention techniques.

* The purpose is to allow everyone to work together and utilize each other’s sources.

Lisa Lloyd:  Offers a list that the Services Department uses.

Dolly Lozano:  Inquires if the Scientific Behaviors need to be listed on the form.

Barb Burcham:  Reports that the Name of the Intervention should tell us that.

Rico Nash Resigns as Chair for the Interventions Committee; however, he will remain a CPG member as well as a member of the Interventions Committee.

Advocacy Committee:

Tony Gillespie:  Reports that a guest speaker will be present during the March meeting to discuss Lobbying.

Epi Committee:

Tony Gillespie:  Ask to have a face-to-face meeting with Dan Hillman on 10/21 from 1-4 p.m.


None to Report




Dan Is Getting Married.

Dolly Lozano:  Two days will be reserved for the January meetings.

Adjourn at 3:45 p.m.