Training - HIV Prevention Training
What is the HIV Prevention Counselor Training Course?
The HIV Prevention Counselor Training Course is a skills-based course for individuals working or volunteering as an HIV Prevention Counselor. Participants must be sponsored by a directly or indirectly state-funded counseling and testing site, or other state recognized agency and organization. Course curriculum includes:
- Development of capacity to implement all stages of pre- and post- test counseling, testing, partner and referral services.
- Develop knowledge and skills to engage clients in behavior change models to reduce client risks of acquiring or transmitting HIV, STD and/or Hepatitis.
- Increase awareness and utilization of policies and procedures pertaining to HIV.
Who May Attend?
Participants must be sponsored by a directly state-funded outreach testing site or other state recognized agency or organization.
When is the Next Training Opportunity?
Tester training is held on an as needed basis and is ongoing throughout the grant year. If you have a training need, please contact Mary Roberts directly with your request.
How Do I Apply?
To register for this training, please email Mary Roberts or call 317-234-8649. A registration form will be emailed to you to be completed and returned.
Email or fax the form to:
Education and Training Coordinator
What are the Requirements?
The HIV Prevention Counselor Course is a skills-based training for those persons who will provide HIV prevention counseling, testing, referral, and partner elicitation services. Individuals must meet all pre-requisites and class requirements to become fully certified. Those requirements include the following:
- Pass the HIV Proficiency Test given prior to first day of course.
- Complete HIV 101 Training Class or online HIV 101 Training.
- Attend the entire course.
- Actively participate and demonstrate skills learned during the course.
- Successfully complete the skills and assessment phase of the course.
Post Course Requirements:
- Complete 5 monitored counseling sessions within one month of course completion.
- Submit documentation of monitored counseling sessions to the Division of HIV/STD/Viral Hepatitis.
What Else Should I Know?
There is no charge for the course. Travel and other expenses are the responsibility of the sponsoring agency or participant.