TRF Member Handbook: Important to Know

Your Secure Online Account

Please register for your INPRS online account. You will need the PIN you were mailed to register for the first time on the website. You also need to keep your PIN for ongoing access to the automated phone system. If you lose or cannot locate your PIN, you can still register on the website by clicking “Register now” and selecting Social Security Number and date of birth, and following the instructions including answering security questions to confirm your identity.

When you register, you can update your address or select or change your beneficiary. You can also change your Defined Contribution (DC) Account investment choices. You can access your account by going here and clicking “Register now.”

Quarterly Member Statements

Each quarter, you will receive a statement about your DC. The total will include any investment gains or losses and any investment fees.

Your statement will be posted online. Log on to your member account here. If you want a paper statement maied to your home, log on to your online account. Select Communications​ Preferences under the My Profile link, located in the top right hand corner of the page.

Beneficiary Designation

It is important to keep your beneficiary information up-to-date. Your beneficiary is the person who will receive money after you pass away. This decision must be made by you prior to your death. If you do not name a beneficiary for your DC, INPRS will pay it to your estate when you pass away.

You can name more than one beneficiary by choosing what percent of your balance will go to each person when you pass away. You would then have “primary” and “secondary” beneficiaries. If your primary dies before you, you may want to choose a new primary. However, if you do not, then the money would go to your secondary beneficiaries.

NOTE: INPRS must pay your DC money to your beneficiary (IC 5-10.4-4-10). No other court orders, levies, or agreements can override your decision.

Suspension of Membership

By Member

Generally, if you leave a PERF- or TRF-covered position before you have 10 years of qualified service, your membership in the fund may be suspended. You will be able to withdraw the balance of your Defined Contribution (DC) account.

If you are vested, you may suspend membership to withdraw your DC and Rollover Savings Account (RSA) to purchase creditable service in another governmental retirement plan if you:

  • have not submitted an application for benefit, even if you qualify (age and service credit),
  • are not currently employed in a covered position.

If you do not qualify for a normal retirement, you may withdraw the balance of your DC after you have been separated from your TRF-covered position for at least 30 days. Your RSA may be withdrawn at any time.


TRF may suspend your membership if you leave a TRF-covered position before you have 10 years of qualified service. Account suspension means that you may automatically receive a disbursement of any funds in your account after five years, depending on the balance. If you have $1,000 or less in your DC, INPRS can, by law, suspend your membership after only five years of leaving your TRF-covered position. You will be sent the balance of your DC. If your account is greater than $1,000, it will continue to be invested as you choose, and gains and losses will continue to accrue. We may charge an administrative fee to the suspended account.

You can go online or call TRF at (844) GO-INPRS to complete the withdrawal paperwork. We are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST.

TRF Member Handbook: Service Credit