Read below for some of Multimodal's most frequently asked questions:
- How many passenger trips are supported by bus, train and plane yearly?
There are more than 40 million passenger trips supported by INDOT Multimodal each year by bus, train and plane.
- How much investment is done through the Multimodal department on a yearly average?
Each year, INDOT Multimodal makes possible investments of more than $74 million dollars in state funds and $161 million in federal funds in local airports, railroads, and transit systems, making sure people and goods can get where they need to go.
- Is federal highway the oversight agency for the transit department?
No, public transit in the US is guided by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), a branch of the US Department of Transportation. Indiana is part of FTA’s Region V, which also includes Illinois, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- How many state safety inspections does the office of Aviation conduct each year?
INDOT’s Office of Aviation conducts annual state safety inspections at 115 facilities.
- How many public rail high-way grade crossings are in Indiana?
There are 5,564 public rail highway crossing in Indiana.
- How much freight travels through Indiana?
724 million tons of freight travels through Indiana, making it the fifth busiest state for commercial freight traffic.