What is Inclusion & Belonging?
Inclusion is feeling a part of the group and having a sense of belonging. At INDOT, we strive to build a work atmosphere where everyone feels valued and respected with access to the same opportunities.
- Belonging is the feeling of being a part of something and mattering to others.
- Diversity is a fact. It’s the spectrum of differences we bring to the workplace.
- Inclusion is a team sport. Working together to create an open and welcoming environment for everyone.
- Belonging is the outcome. Feeling connected and valued member of the group.
- Diversity is what you have, inclusion is what you do with it.
Diversity and Inclusion often show up together, but they don’t automatically exist together. Our goal is to fully align and integrate inclusion and belonging across the agency. When employees experience high levels of inclusion we’re likely to see more engagement, psychological and physical well-being, increased job performance and better retention rates.
Why is this important?
In reviewing the make-up of our workforce and the communities we serve, we realized the potential to do more work in creating a more diverse workforce. It’s important to enhance the connection between employees, attracting diverse candidates who bring new thoughts, creativity and perspective to INDOT.
Diversity is important but focusing on inclusion and belonging allows us to celebrate and maximize the diversity we already have as well as prepare for what’s to come.
Our goal is to create a culture of equality. Hiring with diversity and inclusivity in mind is only the first step. Beyond that, utilizing the differing perspectives, experiences and backgrounds the diverse group brings can increase and drive our most innovative ideas.
When creating a culture of equality in the workplace, hiring with diversity and inclusivity in mind is only the first step. Beyond that, utilizing the differing perspectives, experiences and backgrounds the diverse group brings can increase and drive a company’s most innovative ideas.
- Exceptional Service to Our Citizens
- Safe and Inclusive Work Environment for All Employees
- A Motivated & Engaged Workforce
- Organizational Effectiveness & Innovation
INDOT's Inclusion Statement:
The Indiana Department of Transportation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and belonging which includes a respectful and supportive workplace that attracts and retains a diverse and talented workforce. We believe that fostering an inclusive work environment provides an atmosphere that allows employees to attain their greatest potential and provide excellent service to the citizens of Indiana.