The Indiana Department of Transportation has entered into a first of it's kind partnership with the Indiana Construction Roundtable Foundation (ICRF) to bring Hoosiers a cost-free training that prepares individuals for careers in the highway and roads construction industry.
BY Roads is a unique training that prepares individuals for careers in the highway and roads construction sector. BY Roads utilizes a nationally-recognized construction curriculum and will provide students with opportunities to learn directly from industry professionals and to be placed into high-paying jobs in highway construction. Students that complete BY Roads will earn NCCER Core, OSHA-10 Certifications, and will receive hands-on training in highway construction safety, heavy equipment identification, excavation math, and crane safety and emergency procedures. and will be provided with connection to open jobs in the construction field paying on average $16+ per hour.
About BY Roads Courses
The upcoming BY Roads course will be held in Indianapolis. The first class in every BY Roads course is the introduction and orientation to the program. During this session, students will learn about the components of the class, receive an introduction to highway construction careers, and learn about the additional services and partners involved in the class. Students will be required to provide proof of identity and complete mandatory registration paperwork.
NCCER Training and Certifications
The backbone of BY Roads is NCCER training and certification. NCCER is a nationally-recognized provider of construction certification, with over 7 million NCCER card holders throughout the U.S. Throughout this 11 week program, students will receive nearly 120 hours of modularized construction training. Students will receive instruction and certification in the following modules:
- Orientation to Highway Construction Trades
- Basic Safety, Heavy Highway Construction Safety, Work-Zone Safety
- Construction Math and Excavation Math
- Hand Tools and Power Tools
- Identification of Heavy Highway Equipment
- Construction Drawings and Interpreting Civil Drawings
- Basic Principles of Cranes and Crane Safety and Emergency Procedures
- Communication Skills and Employability Skills
- Site Work and Soils
- Material Handling
Students receive 10 hours of construction safety training during class, leading to an OSHA-10 certification.
Paid Work Experience
Throughout class, students may have the opportunity to start working in paid positions with BY Roads employer partners. These positions will provide students with the opportunity to work in the field and directly apply the learning from class on-the-job.
In addition to the modular exams, NCCER requires students to successfully complete in-person performance profiles for a number of the modules. These performance profiles require students to physically demonstrate their learning, rather than simply relying upon written test for certifications. These performance profiles must be conducted by NCCER-certified instructors in an in-person setting.
As students complete their certifications, ICRF will organize job fairs for graduates to interview with construction employers with open positions in highway and roads construction. ICRF's goal is to see 100% of BY Roads graduates receive at least one job offer during the hiring fair, at jobs ranging between $16-$24/hr.
Student Eligibility Requirements
In order to enroll in BY Online, prospective students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds
- Must have a valid drivers license and have reliable transportation
- Must consent to a criminal background check* (*having a criminal history will not automatically impact a prospective student's eligibility)
- Must consent to remaining drug free
- Additional eligibility requirements established by Adult Education or other Student Funding Partners
Applications are currently being accepted for the next BY Roads Course which starts June 21, 2021.