INDOT’S Graduate Engineer Development Program (GEDP) is the next step after graduation. This outstanding training program is designed to immerse the graduate civil engineer in the culture of INDOT. The one-year rotational program includes rotations working at Central Office in Indianapolis and in a Central Indiana INDOT District Office.
Participants in this program will:
- Become a well-rounded engineer
- Take the next step toward Professional Engineer certification
- Greatly increase real-world experience while in a full-time job
- Gain an insider’s knowledge that would take others years, maybe even a lifetime, to learn
- Sample jobs in nearly every area of INDOT
- Gain an invaluable view of how all the areas of INDOT work together
- Network with other professionals within many areas of the agency
- Benefit from a mentor engineer
During the program, participants will gain years of experience in a matter of weeks. One week they may be working on an active construction site – learning layout and supervising bridge construction – and the next week participants may be in a high-tech materials testing laboratory – smashing steel beams to test for strength or drilling with a huge machine to test soil quality. Participants in the Graduate Engineer Development Program will gain hands-on experience in the following areas:
- Asset Management & Planning, Traffic Engineering, Local Programs, and Economic Development
- Bridge Design and Rehabilitation
- Bridge Inspection
- Construction Management
- Design Engineering
- Environmental Services
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Highway Design and Technical Support
- Materials Management
- Pavement Design
- Real Estate
- Research and Development
- Traffic Engineering Maintenance and Operations
- Traffic Management
After the Program
After completing the Graduate Engineer Development Program, participants will work with the GEDP Coordinator to find a permanent assignment at INDOT in the location and career path that’s right for them and INDOT.
For more information regarding the Graduate Engineer Development Program watch the video or look at photos in the Media Room, read what employees have to say about the program, or read the rotation descriptions.
For More Information
For more information, contact the GEDP Coordinator at INDOTGedp@indot.IN.gov .