Main Content



"Portability" in the HCV program refers to the process through which the family can transfer or "port" their rental subsidy when they move to a location outside the jurisdiction of the public housing agency (PHA) that first gave them the voucher when they were selected for the program.

New families may not be able to port immediately; they may have to live in the jurisdiction of the initial PHA for a year before they can port.  Initial PHAs may allow moves during this one-year period.

  • Initial PHAs -The PHA that first gave the voucher to the individual when they were selected for the program.
  • Receiving PHAs- The agency that will administer assistance in the area to which the individual moves.

Finding A Service Provider

Please click here to access a listing of Local Service Agencies and Providers


IHCDA can receive portability paperwork by fax, email, and regular mail. The best way for IHCDA to receive your paperwork is through email.

If you would like to ask questions about portability, or follow up on your portability request, please send questions to the section 8 portability mailbox at S8portability@ihcda.IN.gov.
This mailbox is regularly monitored by HCV staff.