The following are summaries of some of the successful brownfield projects that have been achieved using state and/or federal assistance, including grants and loans, as well as Comfort Letters and Site Status Letters.
While brownfield redevelopment itself is a sustainable development practice, redevelopment professionals have been discovering the numerous benefits of specific sustainable redevelopment practices, including increased profitability, more efficient use of resources, and improvements in the general well-being of the community.
*Note: Some sites listed below incorporated sustainable redevelopment practices (e.g., reuse of existing site structures/infrastructure, new construction of LEED-certified “green” buildings, recycling/repurposing of demolition materials, use of renewable energy sources, connection of the site to existing modes of transportation).
- * B-Line Trail, Bloomington
- B-line project receives 2012 Governor's Award
- B-line project receives U.S. EPA Region 5 Award ( pages 2-3) at Brownfields 2017 Conference
- Valley House Flats, page 8
- The Butler Company, page 5
- Former Columbus Wood Treating, Columbus, page 5
- Former Elkhart Foundry, Elkhart, page 3
- * Bottleworks District Development, page 1
- * Indianapolis Solar Farm receives Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence, Indianapolis
- Wheeler Mission Ministries, page 7
- Former Indy East Motel, Indianapolis page 5
- Former Winona Hospital, Indianapolis page 6
- Promotion Company, Indianapolis
- * Keep Indianapolis Beautiful Headquarters, Indianapolis
- Former Gas Stations 25th and Delaware, Indianapolis
- * Former Ertel Manufacturing, Indianapolis
- Former Ertel Manufacturing Project Receives Indiana Governor's Award for Environmental Excellence
- "Brownfields Program Spouting Progress" This article highlighting the Indiana Brownfields Program and the Former Ertel Manufacturing site redevelopment first appeared in the Indiana Chamber of Commerce’s BizVoice® magazine.
- Perfect Grand Opening - former Perfection Paint becomes The Vue
- Southside Lumber becomes Kokomo Residential Care Facility
- Kokomo Convention Center and other revitalized downtown sites
- * Former Studebaker 8/Green Tech, South Bend
- Terre Haute Maple Street Pond Park, Terre Haute, page 3
- Nature Park Trail Grand Opening
- * Former Lakeview Nursing Home/Maple Street Pond Park, Terre Haute
Submit a Brownfield Success Story
The Program is always looking to highlight successful local redevelopment projects. Stakeholders can learn from each other, so share your stories and allow the Program to be a vehicle on that road to success!! To submit a brownfield success story, please contact
Michele Oertel at email@example.com.