Indiana Brownfields Program StoryMaps
The Indiana Brownfields Program is excited to share Story Maps it has created for Sites across the state. Story Maps allow us to share success stories by presenting site history, investigation and clean-up activities, and redevelopments in a new and interactive way. To view the Story Map website and explore the various Maps created, please visit:
The following are summaries of some of the successful brownfield projects that have been achieved using state and/or federal assistance, including grants and loans, as well as Comfort Letters and Site Status Letters.
While brownfield redevelopment itself is a sustainable development practice, redevelopment professionals have been discovering the numerous benefits of specific sustainable redevelopment practices, including increased profitability, more efficient use of resources, and improvements in the general well-being of the community.
*Note: Some sites listed below incorporated sustainable redevelopment practices (e.g., reuse of existing site structures/infrastructure, new construction of LEED-certified “green” buildings, recycling/repurposing of demolition materials, use of renewable energy sources, connection of the site to existing modes of transportation).
- * B-Line Trail, Bloomington
- B-line project receives 2012 Governor's Award
- B-line project receives U.S. EPA Region 5 Award ( pages 2-3) at Brownfields 2017 Conference
- Valley House Flats, page 8
- The Butler Company, page 5
- Former Columbus Wood Treating, Columbus, page 5
- Former Elkhart Foundry, Elkhart, page 3
- IPS Building, Westmont
- * Bottleworks District Development, page 1
- * Indianapolis Solar Farm receives Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence, Indianapolis
- Wheeler Mission Ministries, page 7
- Former Indy East Motel, Indianapolis page 5
- Former Winona Hospital, Indianapolis page 6
- Promotion Company, Indianapolis
- * Keep Indianapolis Beautiful Headquarters, Indianapolis
- Former Gas Stations 25th and Delaware, Indianapolis
- * Former Ertel Manufacturing, Indianapolis
- Former Ertel Manufacturing Project Receives Indiana Governor's Award for Environmental Excellence
- "Brownfields Program Spouting Progress" This article highlighting the Indiana Brownfields Program and the Former Ertel Manufacturing site redevelopment first appeared in the Indiana Chamber of Commerce’s BizVoice® magazine.
- Perfect Grand Opening - former Perfection Paint becomes The Vue
- Sherman Park, page 4
- CCIC, page 5
- Southside Lumber becomes Kokomo Residential Care Facility
- Kokomo Convention Center and other revitalized downtown sites
- Former Verma, pages 7 & 8
- * Former Studebaker 8/Green Tech, South Bend
- Terre Haute Maple Street Pond Park, Terre Haute, page 3
- Nature Park Trail Grand Opening
- * Former Lakeview Nursing Home/Maple Street Pond Park, Terre Haute
Submit a Brownfield Success Story
The Program is always looking to highlight successful local redevelopment projects. Stakeholders can learn from each other, so share your stories and allow the Program to be a vehicle on that road to success!! To submit a brownfield success story, please contact
John Morris at email@example.com.