Info Agency Main Banner Content
What is the Census?
The U.S. Constitution requires a count of all people living in the United States every 10 years. The United States Census Bureau is charged with counting the population. This process does not differentiate between citizens and non-citizens; ALL people living in the U.S. are counted.
When will the Census occur?
The official Census Day is April 1st, 2020. However, the Census Bureau will begin sending letters to all households in U.S. in March 2020, inviting them to respond to the Census questionnaire.
How do I respond to the Census?
This will be the first Census event that respondents will be able to respond to the questionnaire online. Respondents can also respond to the questionaire through mail-in paper forms and over the phone. They will send a in-person Census Taker to your house to take your census information, if you do not respond to the questionaire after mulitple attempts to contact you for your information.
Is the Census accessible for people with disabilities?
According to the U.S Census Bureau, they will have large print and braille available on their official website. They will also have American Sign Language video available. You can visit the U.S Census Bureau website to learn more about their accessiblity resources.
Will my information that I share with U.S Census be confidential and secure?
Federal Law requires the Census Bureau to keep your data confidential and secure. It can be only for statistical purposes to determine funding for services and programs, political representation, and geographic redistricting.
- 2020 Census Timeline
- Census FAQ
- Census FAQ--Large Print
- Confidentiality & Security
- Confidentiality & Security--Large Print
- Census Fraud Prevention Tips
U.S Census Bureau
- Official U.S Census Bureau Self-Reponse Internet Portal
- Official U.S Census Bureau Website
- U.S Census Bureau Mailer Sample
- U.S Census Bureau Questionnaire Invitation Letter Sample
- 2020 U.S Census Bureau Questionnaire Sample--ENGLISH
- 2020 U.S Census Bureau Questionnaire Sample--SPAINSH
- 2020 U.S Census Bureau Questionnaire Guide--LARGE PRINT
- 2020 Census Accessiblity
- Video Guide to Completing the 2020 Census Online--ENGLISH
- Video Guide to Completing the 2020 Census Online--SPAINSH
- Video Guide to Completing the 2020 Census Online--American Sign Language (ASL)
- Why the Census Matters for People with Disabilities: A Guide to the 2020 Census Operations & Challenges
- Why the Census Matters for People with Disabilities: A Guide to the 2020 Census Operations & Challenges--LARGE PRINT
Indiana State Library
COUNT ME INDY
National Coalition for Literacy (in collaboration with New England Literacy Resource Center at World Education)