How do I choose a company?
Before purchasing a policy, check the company's financial condition. You can do this by asking the agent. A number of insurance rating services rate the financial strength of companies. You can find more information about company ratings on the Public Access to Rate and Form Filings page of our website.
How do I choose an agent?
Collect the names of several agents (also called producers) through recommendations from friends, family and other sources.
The following are some questions you may want to ask or learn about a potential agent:
- Are you licensed to sell insurance in Indiana?
- Check if an agent is licensed
- Do you sell variable life insurance products and if so are you registered with the National Association of Securities Dealers?
- Do you have any professional designations such as:
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU)
- Life Underwriter Training Council Fellow (LUTCF)
- Are you a financial planners and do you have designations such as:
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFc)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Member of The Registry of Financial Planning Practitioners.
- Are you member of a professional association?
The major association for agents is the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors, Inc. (NAIFA). Through NAIFA's local associations, agents can attend educational seminars and can stay informed of trends in the business.
The agent you have selected will meet with you to discuss your insurance needs. They will ask questions about family income and your net worth and the property you own. Using the information you already have assembled about your financial situation, you should be prepared to discuss your insurance options.
In an initial lfie insurance meeting, be prepared to answer questions about your health (for example, age, medical condition, medical history, family history, personal habits). It is important that you answer these questions carefully and truthfully. You may also have to have some level of medical checkup as part of the application process.