State Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides free, impartial health insurance information for people with Medicare. SHIP is part of a federal network of State Health Insurance Assistance Programs located in every state. In Indiana, SHIP is provided by the Administration on Community Living and the Indiana Department of Insurance.
SHIP is not affiliated with any insurance company or agency and does not sell insurance.
SHIP is staffed by a crew of volunteer counselors who have completed an intensive four-day training course and are certified by the IDOI. Regular training updates keep them current with the most recent changes in Medicare and other health care insurance options.
SHIP counselors are committed volunteers who offer you free and objective assistance in complete confidence.
How can SHIP help me?
SHIP helps answer your questions about Medicare, Medicare Supplement Insurance, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, long term care insurance, prescription coverage and low-income assistance. SHIP provides tools and information to help you make decisions regarding your health care. We strive to help you be wise consumers and to get the most value for your health insurance dollars.
- Provides you with educational materials and brochures.
- Helps you understand Medicare and organize your records.
- Educates you on how Medicare claims are filed and how you can appeal Medicare decisions.
- Teaches you to assess your needs so you can make informed decisions about your health insurance policies.
- Informs you of your rights as someone with Medicare or health insurance policyholder.
- Shows you how to evaluate the various prescriptions, Medicare supplement, and long term care insurances that are currently available.
- Refers you to appropriate agencies that can help you with other needs.
- Provides a speaker to make a presentation to a group, club, or senior center, etc.