Become a SHIP Volunteer
SHIP is a satisfying volunteer opportunity for hundreds of people across Indiana.
SHIP provides services through many channels: seminars, local community training, one-on-one counseling, public speaking, publications, videos and more. Volunteers are the key to the program’s success.
SHIP volunteers are called on to assist with questions on Medicare, Medicare supplements, Medicaid, employer benefit plans, managed care plans, long-term care, help pay for prescriptions and more.
Counseling can include an analysis of insurance needs, side-by-side policy comparisons, help with filing claims, and appeals or filling out applications for assistance.
To be an active SHIP volunteer you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Complete a 24-30 hour Initial Training
- Want to help people with Medicare in his/her community
- Attend regular local in-service training sessions (usually two half-day sessions per year)
- Complete at least 9 Client Contact forms per month
- NOT be affiliated with (i.e., employed by, or in a position to sell) any insurance product, agency, company or service
- Make a minimum one-year commitment
- Be willing to assure complete confidentiality to every client
- Complete required paperwork
- Enjoy meeting new people and helping others
- Rate Watch
- File a Patient's Compensation Fund Certificate of Insurance
- File a consumer complaint
- File a provider complaint
- Compare Medigap insurance policies
- Apply to be a bail agent
- Title Insurance Rate Comparison Tool
- Residential Real Estate Acquisition of Licensee Information and Numbers "RREAL IN" Database
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center