Putnamville is currently seeking volunteers to help with the following groups or programs:
- We are actively recruiting volunteers to mentor students participating in The Last Mile. The Last Mile is a non-profit organization that was founded at San Quentin State Prison in 2010. It is a full-stack computer coding boot camp, the first of its kind, that operates inside US prisons. The core belief of The Last Mile is that having a job is the key to successful re-entry and breaking the cycle of incarceration. Therefore, the program provides computer coding training to prepare students for release into today’s high-tech environment. You can view the volunteer brochure here or watch the volunteer recruitment video here.
- Yoga: Looking for someone to come into the facility and teach a yoga class.
- AA/NA: Looking for a volunteer willing and open to speak with offenders in their combined AA/NA class.
- Art: We are looking for someone interested in starting an Art program who is willing to help offenders with all ranges of skill, from beginning to advanced.
- Literacy: We are looking for volunteers with the patience and ability to help offenders learn to read. We would like to start a workshop and pair offenders one to one with an individual who is willing to take the time to teach them to read. Moorish Science Temple of America
- Native Americans
- Fatherhood classes
- Jewish group
- Putnamville is always in need of release clothing, especially larger sizes.
- Religious supplies - Bibles, Qurans, etc.
Community Engagement Coordinator
Please contact the Community Engagement Coordinator if you are interested in volunteering or making a donation. For general volunteer information, please visit the IDOC Volunteer page.