Madison Correctional Facility is located on the Madison State Hospital grounds, overlooking the Ohio River to the South and bordered by Clifty Falls State Park on the West. Construction of the Mediterranean cottage style buildings began in 1907.
On March 3, 1989, one building on the grounds became an adult male level one work camp that housed a maximum of 70 offenders. In the next few years, the male correctional facility acquired two more buildings. In 2004, drastic increases in incarcerated adult females brought the need to again change the purpose of the space to house minimum security adult females. This necessitated the need to acquire three more buildings, bringing the total number of buildings to six.
Today, Madison Correctional Facility houses approximately 600 female offenders and has a 36 bed work release program for the surrounding community. Most of our offenders are involved in programming and work various jobs, both on grounds and off. We also opened a recycling center in early 2012. This center recycles cardboard, plastic, and cans for the State Hospital, Madison Juvenile Correctional Facility, and Madison Correctional Facility.