Individuals responsible for operation of the following solid waste facilities are required have a valid operator certification:
- Permitted solid waste incinerators and waste-to-energy facilities
- Permitted municipal and nonmunicipal solid waste land disposal facilities
- Permitted restricted waste sites and construction/demolition sites
The operators must have a valid certification until final closure of the facility.
The following operators are considered to be certified operators and therefore, need not apply for the operator certification from OLQ:
- Operators of permitted hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities (TSDFs) that comply with the training requirements of the hazardous waste rules (329 IAC 3.1-9)
- Operators of permitted municipal solid waste incinerators defined in 329 IAC 11-2-16 that complies with the training requirements in 326 IAC 11-7-5.
Solid waste Management facilities must have a certified operator present or available by phone at all times.
There are 4 categories of operator certifications, depending on the type of operation. The training and examination requirements for different classification of operator certification are specified in 329 IAC 12.