Close Menu

Main Content

Construction and Demolition Waste

Construction/demolition (C/D) waste is solid waste from construction, remodeling, repair, or demolition of structures. It may include: scrap lumber, bricks, concrete, stone, glass, wallboard, roofing, plumbing fixtures, wiring, and non-asbestos insulation. It does not include: fluorescent light fixtures, appliances, regulated asbestos-containing material (see federal regulation 40 CFR 61), or other waste resulting from C/D actions. These are items that, when placed in the landfill, would potentially result in the contamination of the environment and present a risk to human health. Construction and Demolition Waste is defined in 329 IAC 10-2-37.

C/D waste needs to be managed properly and it may be disposed [PDF] in MSW landfills, non-MSW landfills, and construction/demolition sites (C/D sites). However, disposal of it may be less expensive at a permitted construction and demolition landfill than at a municipal solid waste landfill.

Note that regulated asbestos containing materials are not allowed to be disposed in C/D sites. Proper precautions must be taken when handling asbestos containing materials. The fact sheet and handling and disposal guidance provide more information.

Uncontaminated rocks, bricks, concrete, road demolition debris, and dirt are not subject to solid waste regulations (329 IAC 10-3-1 (1)), and therefore do not have to be disposed in a landfill. Uncontaminated, untreated, and unpainted dimensional lumber similar to natural growth solid waste is also not subject to regulation as a solid waste (329 IAC 10-3-1 (2)). Such debris may be left or buried on-site, or may be used off-site as fill, so long as such activity complies with local and other state and federal regulations. For example: placement of fill material in a wetland or floodway will need to comply with Section 401 and Section 404 of the Clean Water Act.

Be sure to check with local city and county officials for ordinances and/or regulations regarding demolition projects. You may need a permit from the city and/or county where the demolition is to occur prior to beginning a demolition project.

News and FAQs

Top FAQs