Close Menu

Main Content

Agency Main Banner Content

Underground Storage Tanks

An underground storage tank (UST) system is a tank and any underground piping connected to the tank that has at least 10 percent of its combined volume underground. The Office of Land Quality (OLQ) does not regulate every type of storage tank. OLQ regulations apply only to UST systems that store petroleum or certain hazardous substances. OLQ helps UST owners and operators understand the regulations in order to encourage and promote voluntary compliance.

Notification Requirements

All regulated UST systems must be registered with IDEM. Owners or operators of regulated USTs must complete and submit State Form 45223 - Notification for Underground Storage Tanks (available on the IDEM Forms page) within 30 days of the date on which a UST system has been brought into service, acquired by a new owner, upgraded, repaired, temporarily closed, undergoes a change-in-service, or is permanently closed. You must also fill out State Form 45223 at least 30 days before beginning closure. Owners or operators must provide information on the tank's ownership, size, type, location, age, uses, construction, installation, external and internal protection, piping, and release detection methods. Any person who sells a tank intended to be used as a UST must notify the purchaser of these notification obligations.

Detailed instructions are provided on the IDEM Forms page. All notification documents must include an original signature in ink by the owner/operator or authorized representative. Any owner/operator who authorizes a representative to sign forms must submit a document with the following information, and include a copy of it with every document signed by the representative.

  1. Owner name signed in ink.
  2. UST system facility name and address.
  3. Representative name and address.
  4. Documents the representative is authorized to sign. A copy of the authorization must accompany each document submitted.

For tank installations, upgrades, testing, and permanent closures, a certified contractor must also sign the form and provide his or her Indiana State Fire Marshal certification number.

System Closure

An underground storage tank (UST) system closure is an action that results in a tank no longer being regulated by the Office of Land Quality (OLQ). There are three types of closures.

  • Removal: All USTs, piping, and dispensers are physically removed.
  • In-place: A portion or all of the USTs, piping, and dispensers are closed without removal, often due to being inaccessible. This type of closure requires prior approval from OLQ.
  • Change-in-service: A UST system is converted from storing regulated substances to unregulated substances. This change requires prior approval from OLQ.

Fee Billing

As of July 1, 2014, OLQ collects tank fees based on a calendar year of January 1 to December 31. They are $90 per year for each regulated petroleum tank and $245 per year for each hazardous substance tank.

Operator Training

All of Indiana’s UST facilities must designate individuals as Class A, B, or C operators for various responsibilities of system operations. They must be certified in different aspects of system maintenance and operations. OLQ provides the required training and certification program for free through the Regulatory Services Portal. Please review the UST Operator Training Quick Start Guide [PDF] for more information.

Leaking Tanks

When a regulated UST has a leak or spill, OLQ is responsible for ensuring adequate investigation and cleanup of the resulting contamination. To guarantee that that a leaking tank and its affected area are properly addressed, state and federal laws require owners and operators of UST systems to have financial responsibility. OLQ maintains the Excess Liability Trust Fund (ELTF) to provide a mechanism for the reimbursement of money spent by UST owners and operators on the cleanup of petroleum released from USTs. It also provides the federally mandated financial assurance for owners and operators of petroleum USTs and a source of money for the indemnification of third parties.

News and FAQs

Top FAQs