In order to build a framework of data upon which policy and planning decisions could be based, the IDEM introduced amendments to solid waste rules found in the Indiana Administrative Code (IAC). The amendments were adopted in final form in August 1990 and became effective in November 1990 (Indiana Register, Volume 14, Number 3, December 1, 1990, pages 440 to 442).
The amendments required solid waste land disposal facilities (329 IAC 10-14-1) and processing facilities (329 IAC 11-14-1) to submit information to IDEM on a quarterly basis describing the type, amount, and origin of solid waste received by these facilities. Processing facilities must also report the amount and destination of processed waste or residues that are transported off-site for disposal.
Facilities report the following information in a tabular form provided by IDEM:
- Abbreviation of state the waste was received from (example: IN, IL, MI, etc.)
- Name of the county the waste was received from (example: Adams, Cass, White, etc.)
- Amount of municipal solid waste (MSW) received from each county in tons
- Amount of construction/demolition debris (CD) received from each county in tons
- Amount of foundry waste received from each county in tons
- Amount of coal ash received from each county in tons
- Amount of flue gas desulfurization (FGD) waste received from each county in tons
- Amount of other waste (that does not fit in the categories above) received from each county in tons
- Amount of reuse if a landfill uses approved waste as alternate daily cover or other approved uses
If the facility is a transfer station or other type of processing facility, the report also includes:
- Name(s) of the facility(es) waste was sent to
- City and zip code of the facility waste was sent to
- Amount of waste sent to each facility
Quarterly reports are due to IDEM on the 15th of the month following the end of the quarter.
Reporting Forms and Guidance
- The Land Disposal Facility Quarterly Report and the Processing Facility Quarterly Report must now be submitted electronically through the Re-TRAC Connect online reporting system. To request your login information, send an email with your facility information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subtitle D Clarification [PDF]
- Waste Classification Guide [PDF]