What is the "Indiana Clean Yard" Program?
The Indiana Clean Yard program recognizes auto salvage recyclers who make sure that the environment and their communities are protected from pollution. There are two levels of recognition: Indiana Clean Yard, and Indiana Clean Yard Gold Level.
How do I become an Indiana Clean Yard?
The first step to become an Indiana Clean Yard is for the owner or operator to conduct a self-audit of the facility using the Auto Salvage Recyclers Environmental Self-Audit Workbook [PDF], and fix any issues found. Then, the owner or operator can submit the Auto Salvage Recyclers Environmental Self-Audit Checklist and Certification Statement (both available on the IDEM Forms page). IDEM will review the forms and schedule a site visit to verify that your facility follows environmental regulations, has necessary licenses and approvals, and has an effective recycling program. If IDEM finds no issues during the review and site visit, we will present you with the Indiana Clean Yard Award.
What are the benefits of being an Indiana Clean Yard?
- You will receive a logo that identifies you as an Indiana Clean Yard for your use on letterhead, signs, paperwork, etc.
- You will receive an Indiana Clean Yard certificate signed by the commissioner of IDEM.
- You will receive a counter mat that you can use to advertise your status as an Indiana Clean Yard.
- IDEM will issue a press release to local newspapers announcing that you received an Indiana Clean Yard award.
- Your name will appear on this website and be made available to citizens and local government agencies who call IDEM looking for environmentally friendly auto salvage recyclers.
- You will have a reduced inspection priority.
- You will be ready to respond quickly and adequately to a complaint inspection.
- If you decide to sell your business or the land on which you have been operating, the certification may help with the sale.
- You will have confidence that you are doing the right thing by protecting the environment.
What is Indiana Clean Yard - Gold Level?
Indiana Clean Yard - Gold Level is a higher level of recognition for auto salvage recyclers that meet the criteria to be an Indiana Clean Yard, and make a greater commitment to environmental protection. This is achieved by using Best Management Practices (BMPs) and having a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP). IDEM uses a checklist to evaluate the BMPs when you apply for Indiana Clean Yard Gold Level.
To be considered for Gold Level, check the box on the Auto Salvage Recyclers Certification Program Certification Statement and write “Gold Level” under the box to indicate your interest. An IDEM representative will contact to you to schedule a visit and review any BMPs you have put in place. IDEM will also evaluate your SWPPP. A score of 75% or better on the BMP checklist and a complete SWPPP will qualify you for Gold Level Status. Indiana Clean Yard Gold Level award winners receive all the benefits listed above for Clean Yards. Additionally, the commissioner of IDEM will present your award, and IDEM will issue a media advisory inviting local press to be present.
When does my award expire?
Your Indiana Clean Yard Gold Level award expires two years after receipt.
Congratulations to the following auto salvage recyclers who have received the Indiana Clean Yard Gold Award!
- Car Recyclers (2017 - 2019)
- 13685 N SR13, North Manchester, IN 46962
- Metro Auto Parts (2010 - 2020)
- 2155 W. Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN 46385
- Northlake Auto Recyclers (2009 - 2019)
- 105 Industrial Road, Hammond IN 46320
- Pull-A-Part (2009 - 2017, 2018 - 2020)
- 2505 Producers LN, Indianapolis IN 46218
- Ray’s Auto Parts (2017 - 2021)
- 9653 S. State Road 19, Amboy, Indiana 46911
- U-Pull-&-Pay LLC (2017 - 2021)
- 940 West 16th Street, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
- Veldman’s Auto Parts (2016 - 2020)
- 25926 State Road 2, South Bend, IN 46619
Congratulations to the following Indiana Clean Yard winners
- • Go Green Auto LLC (2019-2021)
- 1341 West 29th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208
- Kowalski Auto Parts City (2013 - 2019)
- 25958 Western Ave, South Bend, IN 46619
- Mike’s Auto Salvage & Towing (2013 - 2019)
- 1732 E. McKinley Highway, Mishawaka, IN 46545
- Ray’s Auto Parts (2012 - 2016)
- 9653 South State Road 19, Amboy IN 46911
- Adkins (2009 - 2016)
- 1010 North Main Street, Martinsville IN 46151
- Legal Chop Shop (2013 - 2017)
- 2532 Goshen Road, Fort Wayne, In 46808
- Wrights Auto Parts (2010 - 2016)
- 4881 Old State Road 46, Nashville IN 47448