Step 1: Review Landfill Video [YouTube]
Step 2: Answer the following questions:
- What is a transfer station?
- Transfer stations are facilities where trash is unloaded from collection vehicles (trash trucks) and reloaded into a larger transport vehicle. The larger transport vehicle takes the trash to the landfill for final disposal.
- Plastic is made from this item?
- Aluminum is made from this item?
- Bauxite. Bauxite is a sedimentary rock with high aluminum content.
- Why do landfills put a cap over the trash when it is at capacity?
- To prevent water from entering the landfill and producing more leachate.
- Why do we not want electronics in landfills?
- Electronics contain heavy metals such as lead. We do not want heavy metals in groundwater because they are toxic.
- How can we make less trash?
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle.