Below is a listing of resources and publications to help businesses understand environmental responsibilities, ensure compliance, and exceed compliance through pollution prevention efforts.
- The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) Indiana Small Business Guide to Environmental, Safety, and Health Regulations, published in February 2014 outlines IDEM roles and the environmental rules directing IDEM activities.
- Want to take self-initiated actions to assess or audit company compliance with environmental laws and correct any violations without fear of enforcement and penalties from state agencies? Find information in the Self-Disclosure and Environmental Audit Policy (available on the IDEM Nonrule Policies page).
- Need help understanding IDEM regulations? View our library of easy-to-read fact sheets.
Pollution Prevention (P2) Resources
- U.S. EPA’s Pollution Prevention Resources offers access to the agency's information and outreach materials on pollution prevention
- Cost savings and Environmental Benefits Measurements – The U.S. EPA, Pollution Prevention Tools and Calculators, Case Studies, Organizational Guides, and more.
- Regulatory Benefits of Safer Solvents [PDF] – By substituting VOC-based solvents that contain HAPs with water-based solvents or with VOC-based solvents that do not contain HAPs, facilities can avoid significant costs associated with air regulatory compliance.
- Safer Alternatives for Solvent Degreasing Applications [PDF] – substitute featured toxic solvents with safer, effective alternatives, including aqueous-based solvents.
- The Toxics Use Reduction Institute, through the University of Massachusetts Lowell, provides resources and tools to help businesses, municipalities, and communities find safer alternatives to toxic chemicals.
- The Interstate Chemicals Clearinghouse is an association of state, local, and tribal governments that promotes a clean environment, healthy communities, and a vital economy through the development and use of safer chemicals and products.
- The University Library at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign offers Pollution Prevention 101, a guide for P2 technical assistance providers who are new to P2. It includes resources, case studies, software tools and databases, sector/subject specific guidance, compliance resources, statistics and data sets, methods and standard information, news, and other P2 tools.
- The National Pollution Prevention Roundtable (NPPR) is a membership organization comprised of the country’s preeminent P2 experts that promotes the development, implementation, and evaluation of efforts to avoid, eliminate, or reduce waste generated to air, land, and water.
Indiana P2 Assistance and Resources
- The Indiana University Environmental Resilience Institute predicts impacts of environmental change (like extreme and unpredictable weather patterns) and develops solutions for businesses, farmers, communities, and individuals to prepare for and respond to these changes.
- The Industrial Assessment Center (IAC) at Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis provides free energy, productivity, and waste assessments to small and medium sized industrial facilities through funding provided by the U.S. Department of Energy. IAC is part of the School of Engineering and Technology and uses trained energy-efficiency experts to help manufacturing companies reduce energy costs.
- Purdue University’s Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) provides innovation and growth services to small and medium sized companies. MEP focuses on small, rural, and emerging manufacturers to increase competitiveness by identifying areas for improvement and streamlining processes.
- Purdue University’s Technical Assistance Program (TAP) provides up to 40 hours a year (per business) of assistance to businesses throughout the state of Indiana on a broad range of challenges and opportunities including business growth, cost reduction, energy efficiency and sustainability, engineering challenges, and systems implementation.
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) voluntary and P2 related Programs:
- U.S. EPA Compliance provides guidance on assuring compliance with the nation's environmental laws to help protect public health and the environment.
- National Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (NSBEAP) - serves as a resource for small businesses and state small business environmental assistance programs, small business ombudsmen, national steering committees, and state and national compliance assistance programs.
- Small Business Environmental Home Page (National) provides small businesses with environmental compliance and pollution prevention information.
- INSafe (a division of the Indiana Department of Labor) provides free consultation services to assist employers in achieving voluntary safety and health compliance in the work place.
- Indiana Small Business Development Center is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to have a positive and measurable impact on the formation, growth, and sustainability of small businesses in Indiana and to develop a strong entrepreneurial community.