July 2019 Update
The Indiana Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust Fund Committee met on Tuesday, July 23, 2019, at 1:00 PM EDT in the Indiana Government Center South, Conference Room C, 302 West Washington Street, Indianapolis.
The meeting was recorded.
- Number of Engines / Vehicles Per County [PNG]
- Round 1 Onroad / Nonroad Award Totals [PDF]
- Round 1 Onroad / Nonroad Details and Recommendations [PDF]
- Round 1 Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Rank by Score [PDF]
- Round 1 Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Applications, Number of Vehicles/Engines by County [PDF]
- Reference Documents for Scoring Proposals [PDF]
- July 24, 2019 Press Release: Volkswagen Committee approves $9.8 million in grant funding to reduce diesel emissions across Indiana.
Request for Proposals (RFP)
The Indiana Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust Program is announcing grant opportunities for clean air projects that will significantly reduce diesel emissions across Indiana. This is a statewide program supported with funds from Indiana’s portion of the national Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Fund and is focused on equipment and vehicle repowers and replacements with newer, cleaner alternatives of various fuel types. The Program will post additional Round 1 solicitations for the DERA Option and Light-duty Electric Vehicle Infrastructure components of the Indiana Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust Program separately.
Grant application closes on June 17, 2019.
- 2019 Indiana Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust Program, Volkswagen Onroad and Nonroad Round 1: Request for Proposals [PDF]
Application Submission Checklist Items
- Project narrative (not to exceed 10 pages, excluding supporting documents)
- Appendix C: IN VW Fleet Data Reporting Spreadsheet [XLS]
- Applicant-share commitment letters (if applicable)
- Automated Direct Deposit Authorization Agreement (State Form 47551) [PDF]
- Indiana Economic Impact Form (State Form 51778) [PDF]
- MBE/WBE/VBE Self or partner participation verification
Questions and Application Submissions
- Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]
- Recent Presentations:
- IN Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Program RFP Overview Webinar (YouTube), hosted by South Shore Clean Cities
If your group or organization is interested in hosting a webinar or in-person presentation, or if you have questions about the RFP process, please contact:
Shawn M. Seals
Senior Environmental Manager
Indiana Department of Environmental Management
Completed applications should be submitted to:
- Email: vwtrust@idem.IN.gov
March 2019 Public Meeting
The Indiana Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust Fund Committee met on Monday, March 4, 2019, at 8:30 AM EDT in the Indiana Government Center South, Conference Room C, 302 W. Washington St. Indianapolis, IN 46204.
The meeting was recorded.
- Draft Agenda [PDF]
- VW Public Meeting Presentation [PDF]
- VW Committee Memo MBE WBE [PDF]
- 2019 VW Mitigation Trust Program Draft RFP [PDF]
- 2019 VW Mitigation Trust Program Draft RFP Redline and Comments [PDF]
- Beranek Evaluative Criteria Observations [PDF]
- Details of Evaluation Criteria Scoring (Revision 2) [PDF]
Past Meetings and Materials
On September 6, 2017, the United States filed its Notice of and Memorandum in Support of Its Unopposed Motion for Court Approval of Finalized Trust Agreements. (“Motion for Approval”) The Court approved the Trust documents shortly after the filing. This Environmental Mitigation Trust Fund is the result of a Consent Decree between the U.S. Justice Department, the Volkswagen (VW) Corporation, and its subsidiaries addressing the installation and use of emission testing defeat devices in over 590,000 2.0 and 3.0 liter subject vehicles sold and operated in the U.S. beginning in 2009. The settlement requires VW to pay $2.9 billion into the Environmental Mitigation Trust Fund, to offset the excess air pollution emitted by the VW vehicles that violated the Clean Air Act. Indiana expects to receive $40.9 million from the Trust in, at least, three annual installments starting in 2018, with all funds being fully disbursed by 2028. Pursuant to the terms of the Mitigation Trust, eligible projects to reduce NOx emissions from diesel-powered vehicles and equipment will include replacement and repowering of existing diesel vehicles or equipment with cleaner alternatives serving the same purpose. Indiana must develop and submit a Beneficiary Mitigation Plan (“BMP”) to the Trustee describing what types of eligible projects will be implemented to achieve reductions in diesel emissions, with a focus on NOx emissions, across Indiana.
This website has been developed to provide information on the Indiana Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Program and to solicit comment on the Indiana Beneficiary Mitigation Plan Draft Framework (see link below). The comments received through this process will be considered in the development of the final BMP submitted to the Trustee. In addition to this request for comments, several public meetings will be scheduled around the state to provide an opportunity for interested parties to provide comments on the draft BMP prior to its completion and submittal to the Trustee.
Projects Eligible for Funding under the Indiana Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Program and Funding Caps as prescribed by National Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Agreement
Trust funds may be used to pay some or all of the cost to repower or replace eligible diesel-powered vehicles with new diesel, alternative fuel, or all-electric engines or vehicles. A repower project consists of the removal of an existing engine and replacing with a newer, cleaner, engine. A replacement project consists of the removal from the fleet of an existing vehicle and the replacement of it with a vehicle of the same size and purpose. Appendix D-2 to the Partial Consent Decree spells out eligible model years and different percentages of the cost for government-owned and privately-owned vehicles, and requires that the old engines and vehicles be scrapped. The Chart of Vehicles by Class Size [JPG] provides additional clarification of the different eligible truck and bus classes.
The Executive Order and press release from Governor Holcomb that outline steps of the Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust fund are available online:
To submit formal comments regarding the Indiana Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Program, or for general questions, please contact OAQ.
- Subscribe for IDEM updates on the Indiana Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Program.