Teachers, bring Indiana history to life with our free lesson plans and classroom resources.
Indiana Tourism is pleased to offer this interactive, six-week social studies course for 4th grade teachers. The curriculum provides a complete set of tools, lesson plans and classroom ideas to help you engage your students in an exciting exploration of Indiana’s history.
Created by teachers for teachers, the curriculum is designed to meet the state of Indiana’s academic standards for 4th grade social studies. It uses critical thinking, problem solving and collaboration to help your students discover the many historical attractions and natural wonders that Indiana has to offer—and inspire them to explore the great state we call home!
Download the Visit Indiana: 4th Grade Social Studies Curriculum as a complete unit or as individual resources below.
Complete Unit: 4th Grade Social Studies Curriculum
This comprehensive toolkit contains six weeks of Indiana history lesson plans for 4th-grade students.
Individual Resources and Lesson Plans
Only looking for a specific tool or lesson plan for your classroom? Simply click on the individual resource below to download the PDF file.
Problem-Based Learning Unit, Days 1-10 (PDF, 737K)
- Day 1: Communication Introduction (PDF, 435K)
- Day 2: Communication Practice (PDF, 422K)
- Day 3: Collaboration Introduction (PDF, 350K)
- Day 4: Collaboration Practice & Creativity Demonstration (PDF, 416K)
- Day 5: Critical Thinking Lesson (PDF, 412K)
- Day 6: Review “4 C-s”, Project Management Systems & Entry Event/Driving Questions (PDF, 480K)
- Day 7: Entry Event/Driving Question, Day 8: Research & Work Session, Day 9: Presentations, Day 10: Reflection (PDF, 414K)
- Day 2: Geography Assignments:
- Day 5: Critical Thinking:
- Day 6-10: Problem-Based Learning Project Forms:
- What the 4 Cs Mean to Me! (PDF, 150K)
- Basic PBL Process (PDF, 55K)
- PBL Retrieval Chart (PDF, 36K)
- Collaborative Jobs and Contract (PDF, 57K)
- Collaborative Work Plan (PDF, 65K)
- Research Documentation (PDF, 63K)
- Research Collection (PDF, 47K)
- Interactive Map Research (PDF, 68K)
- Indiana Map Questing (PDF, 434K)
- Dream Vacation (PDF, 168K)
- Five-Paragraph Expository Essay Template (PDF, 59K)
- Sample Rubric (PDF, 225K)
- Classroom Slides: What are Landforms?
- Classroom Slides - PowerPoint (PowePoint, 2.6 MB - large file, it might take a few minutes)
- Persuasive Essay Prompts (PDF, 307K)
- How-to Instructions for Online Tools: (PowerPoint, 337K)
- Indiana Online Resources (PDF, 368K)
- Indiana County Map (PDF, 192K)
Thank You to Our Curriculum Contributors
Special thanks to the 4th-grade teachers at Noblesville’s Promise Road Elementary for their assistance in the creation of this resource guide and to Bruce Blomberg, Indiana Department of Education social studies specialist, for his thoughtful leadership and insight on this project.