Location: Lockerbie & N. East Streets, Indianapolis. (Marion County, Indiana)
Erected 1998 Indiana Historical Bureau and Lockerbie Square People's Club
ID# : 49.1998.2
This historic neighborhood was originally platted in 1847 and 1850. Its name was derived from Lockerbie Street, which was named after George M. Lockerbie, an early Indianapolis resident. James Whitcomb Riley, who resided on Lockerbie Street 1893-1916, made it famous in an 1880 poem. Lockerbie was home to business leaders, skilled laborers, and craftsmen.
Lockerbie Square includes residential, commercial, religious, and educational structures built mainly circa 1855-1930 in a mix of architectural styles. Neighborhood revitalization begun in 1960s resulted in the first historic district preservation area in Indianapolis. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1973; area enlarged, 1987.
Historic District, Neighborhoods, and Towns, Buildings and Architecture