Sisters of the Holy Cross, Civil War Nurses IHB Marker
The Indiana Historical Bureau administers, installs, and maintains the Indiana Historical Marker Program. Historical markers serve the purpose of communicating the rich political, social, cultural, economic, intellectual, and scientific history of Indiana to the public. Markers are intended to function as permanent educational tools for teachers, students, and others wishing to learn more about the state’s history.
- Sisters of the Holy Cross, Civil War Nurses, 1861-1865 (St. Joseph County, Indiana)
In response to Governor Morton's call of October 1861, eighty Sisters of the Holy Cross under the leadership of Mother Angela served as military nurses. The Sisters became the forerunners of the Navy Nurse Corps in 1862 when they boarded the Red Rover, the navy's first hospital ship.
- IHB Historical Markers
Indiana Women in the Civil War Sections