During his 2019 State of the State Address, Governor Eric J. Holcomb announced the volunteer citizen members of the Next Level Teacher Compensation Commission as a part of his effort to make teacher pay competitive with surrounding states. Governor Holcomb and the commission are committed to raising teacher pay in Indiana.
The commission has been tasked with determining what constitutes competitive teacher compensation in Indiana and with providing recommendations for how to achieve it. The commission will deliver the recommendations to the governor and the General Assembly prior to the 2021 legislative session.
- Commission Chairman Michael L. Smith (Indianapolis), former chairman, president and CEO of Mayflower Group and former executive vice president and CFO of Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Melissa Ambre (Noblesville), director of the Office of School Finance for the Indiana Department of Education
- Jená Bellezza (Gary), COO of Indiana Parenting Institute
- Tom Easterday (Zionsville), former senior executive vice president, secretary & chief legal officer for Subaru of Indiana Automotive
- Rebecca Gardenour (New Albany), member of the New Albany-Floyd County Board of School Trustees and member of the Indiana School Boards Association
- Emily Holt (Arcadia), math teacher at Westfield High School
- Dan Holub (Indianapolis), executive director of the Indiana State Teachers Association
- Katie Jenner (Madison), senior education advisor to Gov. Holcomb
- Bob Jones (Evansville), chairman and former CEO of Old National Bancorp
- Nancy Jordan (Fort Wayne), former senior vice president of Lincoln Financial Group
- Lee Ann Kwiatkowski (Greenwood), director of public education and CEO of Muncie Community Schools
- Denise Seger (Granger), chief human resource officer for Concord Community Schools in Elkhart
- David Smith (Evansville), superintendent of Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation