Establishing a Miller Trust
Establishing a Miller trust
For individuals residing in nursing homes, or who are receiving the Home- and Community-Based Services under a Medicaid waiver, the applicable income standard is $2,349 per month, amount effective January 1, 2020. Individuals who exceed this amount will no longer be eligible for Medicaid unless the individual has a valid Miller trust.
A Miller trust is a special legal arrangement for holding some of your income. This will allow you to put a specific amount into the Miller trust so that your income is less than the standard in order to remain eligible for Medicaid.
- Detailed instructions for establishing a Miller trust
- Instructions for establishing a Miller trust (short version)
- Qualified income trust Miller trust template
- Estimated Miller trusts needed per county
- Information on establishing a Miller trust for banks
- Miller trust Requirement and Resources for Nursing Facilities
- Additional FAQs on Miller trust
If you think you need a Miller trust in order to stay eligible for Medicaid, you may want to contact an attorney for advice on how to establish a Miller trust.