Indiana Interpreter Certificate

By James W. Van Manen, Deputy Director-Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services

So you have your certificate all shiny and new from DHHS. Now what?

Q: Nationally Certified?

A: If you are nationally certified with RID or have NAD IV or NAD V, you do not need to inform DHHS of workshops you take. Your CEUs will be tracked by RID or NAD, not DHHS. DHHS will check to see that you are still nationally certified when it is time to renew. We will not handle your CEU tracking.

Q: Provisionally Certified?

A: If you have the provisional IIC you must take 20 hours of RID approved workshops (2 CEUs) each year. You will need to inform DHHS of the workshops you take as DHHS will track your CEUs. The DHHS CEU form is available from for this.

Q: Educational Certificate?

A: For you who hold the Educational Interpreter Certificate, you must also have 2 CEUs each year but your requirements are more specific.

For ease of understanding, DHHS will, from now on refer to two categories that one CEU (one each) must come from annually for educational interpreters:

Category 1: One (1) CEU of skill development in the type of interpreting or transliterating that corresponds to the certificate held by the interpreter. DHHS interprets this to mean skill development that assists in the understanding of language and language related issues such as linguistics.

Category 2: One (1) CEU from one of the following seven content areas:

A. Deaf Culture and History;
B. Language Development and Acquisition in Children;
C. Child Development;
D. Foundations in Interpreting Theory and Practice;
E. Code of Ethics for Educational Interpreters;
F. Principles and Practices of Special Education;
G. Audiological Issues for Students and Adults.

Q: IIC holder working in Education?

A: If you are nationally certified and wish to work in an educational setting, your Indiana Interpreter Certificate (gray) allows you to also work in education. Your CEUs are tracked by either NAD or RID.

Q: Provisional IIC holder working in Education?

A: If you wish to work in education and you have a provisional IIC you must also apply for the EIC to work as an educational interpreter. You do not, however, have to take twice the CEUs. Follow the requirements outlined above for educational interpreters and be sure these events are all RID sponsored. If you do this, you will not need to take more than the required 20 hours (2 CEUs) per year.

Q: What about Ethics?

A: All interpreters, to maintain state certification must follow the ethical standards taken from the RID Code of Ethics. Questions regarding the interpretation of these ethical standards in an educational setting can be answered by contacting DHHS. A guidebook for educational interpreting is available to assist interpreters and school corporations with this matter.

Q: What about complaints?

A: All grievance procedures, actions, enforcement, discipline and appeals shall be handled according to the provisions in the grievance procedure established for the community based interpreting standard.

Q: Where is the rule in print?

A: The Interpreter Standards Rule can be found in the Indiana Administrative Code 460 IAC 2. A copy can be sent to you by contacting DHHS, it is also copied in the Guidelines for Educational Interpreters.

I hope this is helpful and please do call or email us at DHHS with any further questions you may have.

MS 23
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services
402 W. Washington Street, W453
P.O. Box 7083
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7083

317-232-1143 (Voice or TTY)
Toll free: 1-800-962-8408 (within Indiana) (Voice or TTY)
FAX: (317) 233-1566