Expedited Waiver Eligibility
Indiana’s sixteen Area Agencies on Aging are the sole entities currently authorized to administer and complete expedited waiver eligibility applications for older adults in Indiana who meet specific program criteria and would also benefit greatly from rapid access to home and community-based services .
Individuals or the local AAA acting as the individual’s authorized representative, will complete the EWE application to determine whether the individual meets EWE requirements. If the application is successful, an individual will be granted immediate Medicaid and 1915(c) Aged and Disabled waiver eligibility. EWE aims for providing vulnerable aging Hoosiers with more meaningful choice of by accessing critical long term services and supports in the home with a goal of initiating those services within 10 days of EWE eligibility determination.
Typical EWE Services
A broad majority of older adults would prefer to age in their homes and communities for as long as possible. Over time, the need for health and functional supports gets increasingly more acute for older adults who still desire to maintain these preferences. Medicaid-funded home and community-based services along with traditional Medicaid healthcare services provide foundational supports for Hoosiers who want more say in how and where they age. Typical EWE services may include the services below:
- Attendant Care can provide hands-on care to assist in activities such as bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, mobility, etc.
- Care Management is a collaborative process to assess, facilitate, plan, advocate, evaluate, and coordinate a person’s service/community resource needs.
- Community Transition Service can help pay for critical items needed to facilitate an individual’s successful transition from a nursing facility stay back to their home. This could include furniture, initial deposits, clothes, personal care items, etc.
- Health Care Coordination helps connect and coordinate both social and clinical services such as nutrition counseling and doctor visits.
- Home and Community Assistance can help with many daily tasks that do not require hands-on personal care such as cleaning, cooking, errands, help with paying bills, etc.
- Home-delivered Meals helps facilitate nutritious meals being eaten at home.
- Home Modifications can provide accessibility updates to homes. This can include items such as ramps, bathroom remodels, and stair lifts.
- Personal Emergency Response is technology that monitors for falls and notifies authorities if one occurs.
- Pest Control provided to ensure an individual’s home environment supports safety and ultimately freedom from insect infestation.
- Medicaid Home Health can provide needed skilled and unskilled home health services and supports as part of our State Plan benefit.
- Respite Care pays for a person to provide temporary relief in the home to family members caring for a loved one..
- Structured Family Caregiving allows families to be paid for providing personal care services.
*Please note that the services outlined above are not meant to be exhaustive.
Eligibility criteria and application requirements
Individuals intending to apply for EWE must meet standard eligibility requirements for both traditional Medicaid as well as the A&D waiver. To qualify for EWE, applicants must:
- Age 65 or older
- Not already receive Medicaid benefits;
- Have an individual income that does not exceed 300% of the current annual maximum Supplemental Security Income allowance;
- Have countable assets totaling less than $2,000;
- Require assistance with minimum three activities of daily living which include things like eating, bathing, dressing, toileting, etc.;
- Have a substantial skill need;
- Meet all necessary functional criteria to meet the requisite level of care to be admitted to a nursing facility or enrolled in the state’s A&D Waiver (specific criteria found HERE); and
- Not have complex financial assets that would need to be reviewed in detail for eligibility determination.
To apply, please call one of the providers listed below that serves your area and ask about applying for Expedited Waiver Eligibility.
The following providers are approved to administer the Expedited Waiver Eligibility application and provide real-time approval. Please contact the provider in your area and they will be able to assist you with application and answer questions about additional services that may be appropriate for you or your loved one.
Area IV Agency on Aging & Community Action Programs, Inc.
660 N. 36th St.
Lafayette, IN 47903-4727
765-447-7683 or 800-382-7556
TDD: 765-447-3307; FAX 765-447-6862
Covers Benton, Carroll, Clinton, Fountain, Tippecanoe, Montgomery, Warren and White counties
Area Five Agency on Aging & Community Services, Inc.
1801 Smith St., Suite 300
Logansport, IN 46947-1577
574-722-4451 or 800-654-9421; FAX 574-722-3447
Covers Fulton, Cass, Miami, Wabash, Howard, and Tipton counties
Area 10 Agency on Aging
631 W. Edgewood Drive
Ellettsville, IN 47429
812-876-3383 or 800-844-1010
Covers Monroe and Owen counties
Aging and In-Home Services of Northeast Indiana, Inc.
8101 W. Jefferson Blvd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46804
260-745-1200 or 800-552-3662
Covers Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, Wells and Whitley counties
CICOA Aging & In-Home Solutions
8440 Woodfield Crossing Blvd., Ste. 175
Indianapolis, IN 46240-4359
317-254-5465 or 800-432-2422
FAX: 317-254-5494; TDD: 317-254-5497
Covers Marion, Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Shelby, Johnson, Morgan and Hendricks counties
Generations Vincennes University Statewide Services
1019 N. 4th St.
Vincennes, IN 47591
812-888-5880 or 800-742-9002
Covers Daviess, Dubois, Knox, Greene, Martin and Pike counties
Hoosier Uplands/Public Service Area 15 Agency on Aging and Disability Services
521 W. Main St.
Mitchell, IN 47446
812-849-4457 or 800-333-2451
TDD: 800-473-3333; FAX: 812-849-4467
Covers Crawford, Lawrence, Orange and Washington counties
Lifespan Resources, Inc.
33 State St., Third Floor
New Albany, IN 47151-0995
812-948-8330 or 888-948-8330
TTY: 812-542-6895; FAX: 812-948-0147
Covers Clark, Floyd, Harrison and Scott counties
LifeStream Services, Inc.
2404 National Road W
Richmond, IN 47374
Phone: 765-966-1795 or 800-589-1121
Covers Fayette, Rush, Franklin, Union and Wayne counties
LifeStream Services, Inc.
1701 Pilgrim Blvd.
Yorktown, IN 47396-0308
765-759-1121 or 800-589-1121
TDY: 866-801-6606; FAX 765-759-0060
Covers Blackford, Delaware, Grant, Henry, Jay, Madison and Randolph counties
LifeTime Resources, Inc.
13091 Benedict Drive
Dillsboro, IN 47018
812-432-6200 or 800-742-5001; FAX: 812-432-3822
Covers Dearborn, Jefferson, Ohio, Ripley and Switzerland counties
Northwest Indiana Community Action Corporation
5240 Fountain Drive
Crown Point, IN 46307
219-794-1829 or 800-826-7871
TTY: 888-814-7597; FAX: 219-794-1860
Covers Lake, Porter, Jasper, Newton, Pulaski and Starke counties
REAL Services, Inc.
1151 S. Michigan St.
South Bend, IN 46601-3427
574-284-2644 or 800-552-7928; FAX: 574-284-2642
Covers Elkhart, LaPorte, Kosciusko, Marshall and St. Joseph counties
SWIRCA & More
16 W. Virginia St.
Evansville, IN 47737-3938
812-464-7800 or 800-253-2188
FAX: 812-464-7843 or 812-464-7811
Covers Gibson, Perry, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh and Warrick counties
Thrive West Central
2800 Poplar St., Suite 9A
Terre Haute, IN 47803
812-238-1561 or 800-489-1561
TDD: 800-489-1561; FAX 812-238-1564
Covers Clay, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Vermillion, and Vigo counties
*If you are not able to be approved for expedited wavier eligibility, your application will still be processed as normal.