Expedited Waiver Eligibility
Some home- and community-based services providers are currently able to complete an expedited Medicaid and Aged and Disabled waiver application for Hoosiers who fit certain criteria. Individuals or their representatives who contact one of the providers listed below, complete an application and meet eligibility requirements, will immediately be granted Medicaid and A&D waiver eligibility. The goal of this pilot program is for home-based services to start within 10 days of approval. Expediting the eligibility process is intended to help more Hoosiers receive the services they need in their homes instead of needing to move into a nursing facility.
Many aging individuals want to live at home as long as they can and sometimes need extra support to remain at home. Some individuals want to return to home or to a community-based environment by leaving a nursing facility, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Medicaid-funded home- and community- based services and traditional health services include broad support services such as:
- Attendant Care can provide hands-on care to assist in activities such as bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, mobility, etc.
- Care Management is a collaborative process to assess, facilitate, plan, advocate, coordinate care, and evaluate the person’s needs with service or community resource options.
- Community Transition Service can help pay for items that would be needed to allow someone to move out of a nursing facility and back home. This could include furniture, initial deposits, clothes, personal care items, etc.
- Health Care Coordination helps connect and coordinate both social and clinical services such as nutrition counseling and doctor visits.
- Home and Community Assistance can help with many daily tasks that do not require hands-on personal care such as cleaning, cooking, errands, help with paying bills, etc.
- Home-delivered Meals can deliver nutritious meals to the home.
- Home Modifications can provide accessibility updates to homes. This can include items such as ramps, bathroom remodels, and stair lifts.
- Personal Emergency Response is technology that monitors for falls and notifies authorities if one occurs.
- Pest Control this service can be utilized to make sure the home environment is free from insect infestation.
- Prior Authorization Home Health can provide needed skilled and unskilled home health needs through the prior authorization process.
- Respite Care pays for a person to come into the home to provide temporary relief to family members caring for a loved one at home.
- Structured Family Caregiving allows families to be paid for providing personal care services. The Area Agency on Aging may also provide training, education and technology resources.
Eligibility criteria and how to apply
Individuals wishing to apply for Expedited Waiver Eligibility must be eligible for Medicaid and the A&D waiver. Eligibility criteria includes:
- Age 65 or older
- Is not already receiving Medicaid benefits
- Has individual income of $2,349 or less
- Has countable assets under $2,000
- Requires assistance with at least three activities of daily living such as help with eating, dressing, toileting, etc.; or has a substantial skill need
- Meets functional criteria, also known as “nursing facility level of care” for the A&D Waiver. These conditions can be found here.
- Does not have complex financial assets that must be reviewed in detail to determine eligibility
To apply please call one of the providers listed below that serves your area and ask about applying for Expedited Waiver Eligibility.
The following providers are approved to administer the Expedited Waiver Eligibility application and provide real-time approval. Please contact the provider in your area and they will be able to assist you with application and answer questions about additional services that may be appropriate for you or your loved one.
Caregiver Homes of Indiana, Inc.
5975 Castle Creek Parkway N. Drive, Suite 435
Indianapolis, IN 46250
Counties served: Boone, Clark, Elkhart, Floyd, Gibson, Hamilton, Hancock, Harrison, Hendricks, Jasper, Johnson, Kosciusko, Lake, LaPorte, Marion, Marshall, Morgan, Newton, Perry, Porter, Posey, Pulaski, Scott, Shelby, Spencer, St. Joseph, Starke, Vanderburgh, Warrick
8440 Woodfield Crossing B
Indianapolis, IN 46240
Counties served: Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Marion, Morgan, Shelby
Independent Adult Day South
2225 Shelby Street
Indianapolis IN, 46203
Counties served: Marion
LifeSpan Resources, Inc.
PO Box 995
New Albany, IN 47151-0995
Counties served: Clark, Floyd, Harrison, Scott
Northwest Indiana Community Action
5240 Fountain Drive
Crown Point, IN 46307
Counties served: Jasper, Lake, Newton, Porter, Pulaski, Starke
Phone: 219-794-1829 ext. 2231
Oasis at 56th
4940 W 56th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46254
Counties served: Marion
Phone: 317- 297-3115
1151 S. Michigan Street
South Bend, IN 46601
Counties served: Elkhart, Kosciusko, LaPorte, Marshall, St. Joseph
Phone: 574-284-7107, 800-552-2916
Silver Birch Hammond
5620 Sohl Avenue
Hammond, IN 46320
Counties served: Lake
Silver Birch Evansville
475 South Governor Street
Evansville, IN 47713
Counties served: Vanderburgh
Southwest Indiana Regional Council on Aging
16 West Virginia Street, PO Box 3938
Evansville, IN 47737-3938
Counties served: Gibson, Perry, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh, Warrick
*If you are not able to be approved for expedited wavier eligibility, your application will still be processed as normal.