How Indiana Determines Disability Status for Medicaid
Effective June 2014, Indiana automatically enrolls individuals that the Social Security Administration determines eligible for Supplemental Security Income into Indiana Medicaid and accepts all SSA determinations of disability. This change eliminated the arduous and duplicative requirement that these aged, blind and disabled applicants also complete a second application and go through a second medical review process to be determined eligible for Indiana Medicaid with disability coverage.
Indiana's Medical Review Team continues to provide provisional disability determinations for individuals who have a current application or appeal open with the Social Security Administration. This allows eligible members to receive disability coverage until SSA makes a final determination. Once the final SSA decision is made, it will override the provisional MRT disability determination.
The resources below offer further information.
- Comprehensive frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Behavioral and Primary Healthcare Coordination program
- Instructions on how to establish a Miller Trust
- Eligibility screening guides
- Stakeholder Presentation 1/30/2014
- Additional FAQs from stakeholder presentation
- Provider bulletin
For more information, please call 800-403-0864.