Adult educators play a critical role in the successful implementation of DWD’s vision for adult education. They deliver foundational skills development to adults and out-of-school youth for the purposes of employment, reemployment, or enhanced employment. See the Teacher’s Manual for more information on DWD’s vision, guidance on instructional delivery and program components.
In addition to instruction, educators are responsible for assessing students to ensure they are gaining foundational skills in math, reading, and language. The Department of Workforce Development has procured Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE)/ TABE Complete Language Assessment System-English (TABE CLAS-E) to measure educational and language attainment. Other potential assessments that educators may administer include the Indiana Career Explorer (ICE), a career interest, aptitude, and values inventory; and WorkKeys, which measures workplace skills. Guidance on all of these assessments is provided below.
- TABE CLAS-E Training (August 12, 2011) & Slides
- Invalid Score Guidance(October 15, 2012)
- TABE Summer Institute FAQ
Indiana Career Explorer Guidance Documents & Webinars
- Indiana Career Explorer for Middle and High School Students
- Indiana Career Explorer Navigator Quick Guide for Middle and High School Students
- Indiana Career Explorer: ADMS Webinar
- Indiana Career Explorer for Postsecondary Students
- Indiana Career Explorer for Job Seekers
- Indiana Career Explorer Journey Quick Guide for Postsecondary Students and Adults
- Indiana Career Explorer: Journey Webinar
- Indiana Career Explorer: Navigator Webinar
Email AdultEd@dwd.in.gov if you have questions regarding assessments.
Equal Opportunity is the Law. Equal Opportunity Employer/Program Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.