- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.


Agency Links Links

DWD > DWD Employer Services > Employer Protest of Unemployment Insurance Benefits Employer Protest of Unemployment Insurance Benefits

In order to help your company manage its unemployment account and protest unemployment benefit claims, the Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) is implementing a new Unemployment Insurance Benefit Protest form (Form 640P). Click here for a copy of the new form.  Using only this form to protest benefit claims will help ensure DWD receives the necessary information to quickly and accurately begin the claims protest process. 

What to expect when an individual files a claim against your account:

When an individual files an initial claim for unemployment, DWD sends all base period employers (employers who employed that individual over the last 18 months) a notice using the Separating/Base period Employer Notice  (Form 640R). When an employer receives this notice, they have ten (10) calendar days from the date on the notice to protest the individual’s eligibility for benefits using the protest form.

When to use the Unemployment Insurance Benefit Protest form:

Use the protest form when you believe the individual is not entitled to benefits or entitled to a reduced amount of benefits.  Indiana law provides that an individual may be ineligible, or eligible for a reduced amount of benefits, if the individual:

  • Quit voluntarily (job abandonment, voluntary buy-out);
  • Was discharged for just cause (policy violation, absenteeism, incarceration);
  • Was discharged for gross misconduct (committing a felony or Class A misdemeanor, intoxicated at work, battery on another employee, fraud, theft or misuse of funds in excess of $100 value);
  • Is entitled to vacation pay, pay in lieu of vacation, “standby pay,” or wages in lieu of notice;
  • Is receiving or will receive retirement pay; or
  • Is otherwise ineligible (did not work for you, is still working for you).

Fax the form within ten (10) calendar days from the date of the Separating/Base period Employer Notice (Form 640R) to DWD at:   317-633-7206

What happens next?

Once DWD receives the protest form, the employer and the individual filing for benefits will be contacted for additional information.  Please respond as quickly as possible if further information is requested. Use of the protest form is not sufficient to deny a claim. You must provide any additional information requested by DWD in order for an accurate eligibility determination to be made and may face penalties to your account if you fail to provide requested information, even if the individual is later determined ineligible.

Continuing to manage your account:

Each month DWD will send a Statement of Benefit Charges (Form 535). This statement will show you which individual’s benefits are being charged to your account.  Please review this statement each month to make sure the charges are correct.  If you have any questions about these charges or other matters regarding your unemployment account, please refer to the employer section of the DWD website at or contact Customer Service at 1-800-891-6499.

Stay Connected

You are leaving the website. By clicking OK, you will be taken to a website that is not affiliated with the State of Indiana and may have different privacy and security policies. The State of Indiana is not responsible for, and does not endorse, guarantee, or monitor content, availability, viewpoints, products, or services that are offered or expressed on this non portal website.

To get the Hot Jobs for Today
widget on your site, click here.