February 17, 2021
The 2021 individual income tax season just opened last week! DOR has potential money-saving tips for you to remember this tax season.
Did you know? Indiana has a program that will let you file both your state and federal income taxes for free. It is called Indiana free file (INfreefile) and it gives qualifying Hoosiers, with an adjusted gross income of $72,000 or less, the opportunity to use certified vendors to file their individual income taxes.
You can access the program 24/7, making it not only easy but convenient. All INfreefile partners are part of the Free File Alliance, which coordinates with DOR and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to provide services to you.
Benefits of INfreefile
No fees to file your federal and state returns
The registered vendors should not charge you to file your federal and state tax returns if you qualify for an INfreefile offer and enter through the website.
Each vendor guarantees the accuracy of the return
You will notice each vendor lists this guarantee on their website. You can pursue any accuracy concerns directly with the company that prepared your return.
Since you’re filing electronically, if you’re due a refund you will get it up to four times faster
How to Get Started with INfreefile
Gather personal information you will need such as:
- A copy of last year's federal tax return so you can access your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
- Valid Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse and any dependent(s) (if applicable)
Gather income documentation such as:
- W-2s, showing your annual wages from all your employers
- Form 1099-INT, showing interest paid to you throughout the year
- Form 1099-G, showing any refund, credit or offset of state and local taxes
- Forms 1099-DIV and 1099-R, showing dividends and distributions from retirement and other plans paid to you during the year
- Form K-1, IN K-1 showing pass through income
Additionally, some filers may need the following types of income information:
- Unemployment compensation
- All receipts pertaining to your small business
- Information regarding income from rental, real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporation and trusts
- Social Security income
- Pensions and annuities
Ready to file? Check out the 2021 INfreefile vendors:
- Intuit TurboTax
- OLT Online Taxes
- Tax Slayer
Note: You must access all INfreefile vendor offers from DOR’s INfreefile website and create a new account each year with the vendor to ensure a no-cost filing.