Language Translation
  Close Menu

Filing Your Tax Return Early

It's Tax Time!

The Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) knows that most people want their tax refund issued as quickly as possible. However, this can lead to individuals filing before they’ve received all of their required documents for the year.

DOR wants you to know, not only is this bad practice, but it can lead to delays in processing and receiving your refund.

Why shouldn’t I file early?

  • Filing early can result in needing to submit an amended return later, costing you time and money.
  • Any return sent without proper documentation may be put on hold.
  • Using a pay stub to file, can result in inaccurate results. This may mean that you actually owe the state money later.

What information do I need to file?

  • Your Social Security number
  • Your spouse’s Social Security number (if married)
  • Social Security numbers for any dependents

What documents do I need to file?

  • W-2 Forms from all employers you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) worked for during the past tax year.
  • 1099 Forms if you (or your spouse) completed contract work and earned more than $600.
  • Investment income information such as interest income, dividend income, proceeds from the sale of bonds or stocks, and income from foreign investments.
  • Income from local and state tax refunds from the prior year.
  • Unemployment income
  • Rental property income
  • Social Security benefits
  • Miscellaneous income such as: jury duty, lottery and gambling winnings, Form 1099-MISC for prizes and awards, and Form 1099-MSA for distributions from medical savings accounts

 Latest News

Click here to view more events

 Top FAQs