Here are some simple, but important tips to protect your information:
- Protect your financial documents. They have your name, address, bank information and Social Security number. Shred documents you don’t need and keep ones you do need locked in a secure place.
- Don’t give a business your Social Security number just because they ask.
- Don’t carry your Social Security card with you.
- Protect your financial information – shred important paper, don’t just throw them away.
- Check your credit report every 12 months for free by directly contacting the three credit report agencies – Experian, Equifax and Trans Union.
- Secure personal information in your home – keep your financial records locked up.
- Protect your personal computers by using firewalls, anti-spam/virus software, update security patches and change passwords for Internet accounts.
- Don’t give personal information over the phone, through the mail or on the Internet unless you are sure you know whom you are dealing with.
File and Pay Taxes Electronically!
Another way to combat identity theft is to file your taxes electronically. E-filing is significantly more secure than paper filing. When you e-file, your return is processed predominately by computer. This means the fewest possible chances for identity theft. Individual taxpayers can file their taxes online for free if they qualify for INFreeFile. Businesses can file many of their business taxes online using INTIME.
A paper return is handled by dozens of people – postal processing, mail clerks, letter opening, paper organizing, return scanning, the person who reviews and approves information and possibly many others. The list goes on and on. There are a lot opportunities for identity theft with a paper return.
Pay or File Using a DOR Online System
Not sure what is secure and what isn't? You've come to the right place, DOR's website. You can find a list of safe and secure online services right here. For corporations and businesses, filings and payments can be done through INTIME. For individuals looking to make a payment, use our DORpay online portal to ensure your payment is secure and getting to your destination.