Close Menu

Main Content

Farmers: Consider the Correct Permits When Hauling Away Your Crops



By Anna Bockelman

Farmers are the soul of Indiana and we are proud of it! It won’t be long before we start seeing combines on the roads, out in the fields and semis hauling away the crops.

Before farmers leave their fields, they need to plan ahead to be sure they’re taking a route that allows this type of equipment. While oversized or overweight agricultural implements or semis do not need permits to drive on local roads, this does not apply to state roads, US highways and interstates!

If you think your semi or farm equipment weighs more than 80,000 lbs or is larger than the legal height, length and width, and you need to drive on a state road, US highway or interstate to get to your destination, you must get a permit from our Motor Carrier Services team. Our team is ready and willing to help!

You can visit our team in person at:

Motor Carrier Services Division
7811 Milhouse Road, Suite M
Indianapolis, IN 46241

Or call: (317) 615-7320

Driving oversize or overweight vehicles on the roadways listed above without a permit can result in a civil penalty of $5,000. Permit prices are based on the size of your vehicle and the weight, but usually don’t cost more than $100 depending on the number of trips you are making and the distance of the trip.

Figuring out the weight can be hard because we know a majority of farmers don’t have a scale to know the exact weight of their semis. Our Motor Carrier Services team can talk you through options like buying the Overweight Commodities Permit. For semis hauling items like bulk grains, this could be the option for you. It allows semis within the legal width, height and length carry up to 97,000 lbs.

Our team is happy to help you work through any questions you have!


News and FAQs

Latest News

Click here to view more events

Top FAQs