The Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) hopes customers have a hassle and stress-free tax season. Below are some tips to help you get your tax filing done quickly and correctly.
- Use the correct forms. Incorrect or outdated forms submitted may cause delays or be sent back.
- Always file state taxes, even if you are under the threshold or don’t expect a refund.
- Don’t file your taxes until you have all your income statements and appropriate documentation.
- File your taxes electronically, if possible, as this process is faster and more accurate.
- Check to ensure your return is complete and correct. Write clearly and use blue or black ink.
- If you claimed certain deductions or credits be sure to include all required and supporting documentation.
- Make and save copies of all relevant paperwork submitted, in case you need to reference them later.
- Be sure to send state returns to DOR. Federal returns go to the IRS.
- Don’t duplicate your filing. Filing more than once causes further delay in the refund process.
- If you receive any correspondence from DOR, please respond accordingly and quickly.
- Do NOT staple checks or returns.
- Make sure all state returns are sent to the correct P.O. Box. Mail is processed by P.O. Box from April – June with top priority being individual tax returns.
- If paying by check, include the liability number or tax period on the check. For personal checks submitted for businesses, include the business name on the check.