How to File for an Extension

March 28, 2016

Do you need more time to file your individual income taxes? If you can’t meet the April 18 deadline to file, there’s no need to panic. The Indiana Department of Revenue offers resources to help Indiana taxpayers.

Taxpayers who can’t complete their tax return by April 18 can complete an extension of time to file form or Form IT-9. An extension of time to file gives taxpayers more time to get all their information together to file. However, it does not extend the time to pay the tax owed.

Taxpayers can complete an extension of time to file form with either the IRS or the department. The IRS offers a federal extension of time to file (IRS Form 4868). If you file this form, you won’t need to complete a separate form for Indiana.

If you don’t have an IRS extension, you can file for an Indiana extension by following the steps below:

  • Download Form IT-9 and mail it to the department postmarked by April 18, 2016.
  • Pay at least 90 percent of the tax you expect to owe by April 18, 2016. You can pay online by credit card or electronic check at
  • File and pay the remaining balance by the extension date to avoid penalty.

Remember, if you expect a refund or to break even this tax season, you still need to file for an extension of time to file if you can’t file by the April 18 deadline.

If you need assistance or have questions about your return, please contact the department by phone at 317-232-2240 or by email. Spanish support also is available.