Happy Birthday...to Us!
Feb. 18, 2015
Today marks a special day for the Indiana Department of Revenue. It’s our birthday! The department was created by an act of the Indiana General Assembly on Feb. 18, 1947, making the department 68 years old today. In honor of our birthday, here are a few interesting tidbits about the department’s history:
- 1933 – Gross income tax was enacted on all Indiana taxpayers for the first time. Gross income tax caused much controversy and political debate. A new division titled the Gross Income Tax Division was created under the state treasurer’s office to manage these tax responsibilities. This division eventually became the department in 1947.
- 1949 – The IT-40 form included a WWII bonus tax and checkboxes for taxpayer professions, listing only 24 options.
- 1963-1964 – The first district offices were established. District offices were originally staffed by sales tax investigators, the present-day equivalent of field reps, field examiners, and auditors. In 1964, district office phone numbers were listed in income tax booklets for the first time.
- 1988 –The Today Show (starring Bryant Gumbel and Indiana native Jane Pauley) broadcasted outside of the department.
- 1993 – The ability to electronically file a tax return through e-file was accepted from third parties.
- 1996 – The department launched its first website.
- 1997 – The IT40-EZ is created and made available for residents with a federal taxable income less than $50,000.
- 2004 – For the first time, Indiana taxpayers could check the status of their state individual income tax refunds online.
- 2004 – INtax, a new electronic method for businesses to manage their state tax accounts, was launched.
- 2010 – Imaging technology is installed, which allows the department to image all state paper returns, both individual and business. This decreases the costs of labor for hand-processing returns and amounts to a 70,000 sq. ft. reduction in document storage space.
- 2010 – The department begins using the social media tools Facebook and Twitter as a means to connect with individual and business taxpayers as well as organizations interested in tax updates, general information, and special tax news.
- 2014 – The department’s identity protection program is implemented, which increased security features and stopped $88 million in attempted identity theft tax returns.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017