Alcohol and Tobacco Taxes Electronic Mandate
Aug. 7, 2014 – TaxTalk Blog
Did you know more than 1,540 businesses report Indiana alcohol and tobacco taxes?
How these taxes are reported and paid has seen a recent change. The 2014 general assembly passed a new electronic mandate which will help simplify reporting and paying these taxes. Effective July 1, 2014, all businesses in Indiana must file and pay their alcohol excise taxes, cigarette taxes, and other tobacco product (OTP) taxes electronically. Additionally, all informational returns must be submitted electronically.
Although the law requires taxpayers to begin filing and paying electronically by July, the department understands taxpayers may need more time to accommodate this new process. Therefore, the department will not accept returns electronically until later this year.
- Alcohol and OTP taxpayers will file their October 2014 returns electronically by the November due date.
- Cigarette taxpayers will file electronically beginning with the January 2015 return, but the department will be able to accept electronic returns beginning Nov. 1, 2014, if taxpayers choose to file their October 2014 returns electronically.
This additional time allows affected businesses to prepare to bulk file their returns. The department is developing the bulk upload capability, and a bulk upload guide for taxpayers already is available online.
Additionally, the department is sending letters directly to affected taxpayers with more and detailed information about these new processes. The letters introduce electronic filing, introduce web pages for the special tax e-mandate, announce bulk upload testing availability, and remind taxpayers of the filing deadline.
For more detailed information about these new electronic filing requirements, visit the following web pages:
If additional information is needed, email email@example.com or call 317-615-2710.
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- What Do Our District Offices Do?
August 02, 2017
Tax issues can seem daunting and generate many questions. Sometimes customers want to discuss concerns and get answers in-person. Read more...
- Filing Past Year Tax Returns
July 27, 2017
Are you worried about not filing a past year tax return? Stop worrying and take action. Read more...
- Reading Your Tax Bill
July 05, 2017
- Fireworks Public Safety Fee in Indiana
June 21, 2017
- Join Us for the Annual Public Hearing
June 07, 2017
- Estimated Tax Series Part 3: How to Pay Estimated Taxes
May 31, 2017
- How to Open and Close a Business
May 10, 2017